The Aeon Cult: Messages from a new power in our system?

@GhostDante Certainly, I don’t mind at all! Just happy to see it discussed!

4 Likes

Now that I’ve gotten a good night of rest after all the excitement, I’d just like to elaborate the topic a bit. I think it’s possible the Aeon Cult is somehow a rival Guardian cult to Osiris and his followers. One just as interested in the Vex, if not more. I believe they feel they have managed to truly understand the Vex, while Osiris does not. Mainly supported by the line: “The Truth is that Osiris understands nothing. Thought you knew what they were didn’t you.” The only “they” this could be referring to would be the Vex. And presumably, this Aeon Cult is stating that they understand them better, if not completely.

Additionally, it seems the Aeon Cult were willing to take further measures and break even more taboos than Osiris. The main example of this being that they appear to have attempted to merge their minds into one, as the Vex hive mind, which we have previously been informed of. This is supported by multiple lines in the text, “Our feet became one mind,” “One mind can absorb the truth,” “Nothing can describe the joy of shared thought.,” etcetera.

My reasoning for assuming they are associated with the Vex, or rather, are attempting to understand them is twofold. The two reasons are these lines. " You haven’t lived as they do. Your future is predetermined." The only beings we know of who live as a hive mind, and are attempting to influence the future are the Vex. I would like to take a small tangent here and note something. “Your future is predetermined.” But, that should be impossible, no? This message is addressed to Guardians, whom we know are paracausal, which we know means our future is not predetermined. I’m quite simply either baffled to its true meaning, or terrified at what this seems to mean. Regardless, back to the initial discussion.

“The Path” is still something I have no clue about. However, I could take two guesses. I believe it may either be the Infinite Forest, or the Vex network itself. Note the lines, “We followed the path. The Path crumbled beneath our feet.” We can see, in gameplay, that the Infinite Forest is somewhat like a path, and if I recall, the Vex are the only race whose platforms have ever crumbled beneath us in game. It would also make sense, as the Forest is ever-changing. A path could crumble beneath you without warning, as the Cult describes.

Now, this next point goes into almost pure speculation of the Cult’s origins, so bear with me if you would. The entire internal portion of Mercury has been turned into a staging ground for the Vex’s simulations. However, if we look down while inside the infinite forest, we don’t notice the red hot core of a planet that we would expect. I believe the initial members of the Cult were actually agents of Osiris, sent to investigate the Forest. Perhaps (and again this portion is pure speculation) after the path crumbled beneath them, the initial members of this Cult fell into the Vex network. Their minds were somehow merged into one in this event, just as the three messages to each class can be merged into one. As a result, they see individual thought as chaotic, nonsensical, just as the lore of the three individual pieces is nonsensical until combined. Somehow, they managed to survive the experience and escape, but they were… changed somehow. They feel an odd oneness, a shared consciousness, a new clarity. And they feel they must share it. They believe Osiris to be a fool, who does not understand anything about the Vex. They believe only further taboos could give such an understanding. The only further taboo in relation to the Vex that Osiris hasn’t committed would be to embrace their hive mind, as the Cult have. They suggest moving away from our heroes because the known heroes of the Tower, and the City, Shaxx, Zavala, Saladin, Ikora, Cayde, etcetera, would all forbid us from further pursuing this supposed “truth” of the Vex. But the Cult believes such extreme measures are necessary for whatever comes beyond the heliopause, believing it to be no more than a mere “curtain before the next and final act.”

They believe something is coming. They believe only they can see it. And most curiously, they seem to believe they only way to prepare for it is to merge our minds into one, as the Vex.

However, several further portions of the message still confound me. The mention of dreams, the mention of our destructive nature, and the mention of this mysterious “final purpose.” The only similar expression I know of is the final shape, from the Book of Sorrows.

Well, my fellow Guardians? What do you believe? Do you believe I am correct about the origins of the Cult? What do you make of this strange… “final purpose”? And what dreams do you believe they could be speaking of? I look forward to hearing all of your thoughts.

Light be with you, Guardians.

9 Likes

I just read this and I AM STOKED!!!
Reading it, as i have not started my own investigation yet (lol). A couple of things do pop up.

1. There’s 3 commanding the Vanguard. No one seems to veer away from what they say.
  2. The uniting of the the mind makes me lean as to something with Rasputin and Charlemane.
  3. Those 2 minds and a third. Possibly something to do with Cayde or an Exo. The next DLC is something to do with Rasputin. It may be some kind of weapon that is being introduced in this DLC.

I will be continuing research on this. IM SO EXCITED!! :joy::joy:

Also, Didnt we find a warmind on IO? Maybe something to investigate. Heliopause is a key word and also the name of alot of Dead Orbit armor.

3 Likes

Heliopause is also connected to the Nine, as a legend says they’re nine Ghosts who went beyond the heliopause (obviously disproven, but there were nine Ghosts).

3 Likes

Reminds me of the line from the new Kabr’s Glass Aegis ship.

"their/our/their desire is not malevolent it is survival she is/was/is wrong there is no evil there is no despise there is no SEPARATION there is harmony inside if you/you/you allow it

it was/was/was not done i/i speak again and was wrong i am still him and i am now them and THAT IS FUTURE^V^V"

(The text with the slashes i.e. their/our/their in this card is meant to represent past, present, and future. The Vex exist in all at once so they (and Kabr) speak like they are one)

Also I love the above card in relation to the line from the old Relic: The Aegis grimoire
"Now it is done. If I speak again, I am not Kabr."

I have a lot more to read through and think about but I wonder…were the 3 wearers of the Aeon armor (Titan, Hunter, Warlock) Kabr, Pahanin, and Praedyth…food for thought.

I’ve got work but tonight I plan on spending a bunch of time building out my Aeon, Kabr, theory. I’ll probably have something long to post by tomorrow.

7 Likes

Everyone in this thread. I posted a thing but it was too long to be a comment. It’s a new post at http://commons.ishtar-collective.net/t/now-go-and-find-yourselves/1368

@TKfromthe90s let me know your thoughts.

If you’re interested in JUST the Aeon Cult part though I think the message was sent by Kabr and this is my interpretation.

We followed the path. The Path crumbled beneath our feet. Our feet became one mind.

Kabr and his team entered the Vault. But this is all Kabr. He is past, present, and future at once. He is we.

One mind can absorb the truth. The Truth is that Osiris understands nothing. Nothing can describe the joy of shared thought.

He drank the vex milk and joined their collective thought.

Thought you knew what they were didn’t you. You haven’t lived as they do. Do you wish to find your future.

We cannot understand the Vex because we are not one with them. We do not live as them.

Your future is predetermined. Predetermined individuals will never find answers. Answers lie in forbidden places.

What if on some dreadful night, the Darkness were to come creeping up to you and whisper ‘This war, is all there is for you.’ Instruments of war cannot find the meaning in it. They must seek out meaning from their Queen

Places bound by shared dreams. Shared dreams will reveal your nature. Your nature is to destroy.

We are weapons. Purpose built to wage war.

Destroy your sense of self. Self-preservation coddles leaders into ritual complacence. Complacence is something I have forgotten.

We cannot think that we have significance. Kabr is not like Osiris. He does not find satisfaction in his own greatness.

I have forgotten loneliness, uncertainty, life alone. Alone I see with my six eyes. Eyes watching from beyond the heliopause.

Kabr sees with past present and future eyes. He/They/We watches us.

The heliopause is a curtain before the next and final act. Act decisively to meld with yourselves. Yourselves will know you.

Something dark comes our way. We will meet other weapons of war. Other versions of ourselves.

You together alone striving toward your final purpose. Purpose built to move as they move. Move to stand apart from your heroes.

Our final purpose is to be consumed. By the collective, by the Darkness, by the Light. We are not to be as heroes, fighting against it.

Heroes are commonplace these days. Days of change draw ever closer. Closer looks at what is forbidden can only help.

We must choose a queen. Each with their forbidden knowledge. We must decide to be more than weapons.

Help them help you. You are so afraid of taboos. Taboos must be overthrown.

We must make a pact and seek more. The Vex milk is taboo. The Darkness is taboo. The very nature of the Traveler, is taboo.

Overthrown rulers would agree I’m sure. Surely you are convinced by now. Now go and find yourselves.

We must find a new purpose.

7 Likes

Not sure if related, but Benedict 99-40 has one line when speaking with him that goes like: "Emperor Calus owns the path."
It could totally be a different “path”, but seems rather cryptic for several parties to have different "the path"s.

3 Likes

Oryx spoke of making one’s own path.

4 Likes

This is how I imagined the passages were combined as well. Great job!

4 Likes

Bruh, This is som e of the best lore analysis I have ever seen. Most people just go with what the cards say but you are a true detective man. A+

5 Likes

@TKfromthe90s @FutureLoreCult I’m so impressed with the work you guys have done with those cryptic messages and working out the right order for them! Well done!

5 Likes

This is awesome. Great work @TKfromthe90s, @FutureLoreCult and @baxter! things like this is why I’m so happy I am on this site.

5 Likes

This is dope.

Aeon Cult tech seems very Vex-y. The idea of sharing energy and power, talking about Osiris and his studies, talking about predetermination (simulations?), “shared dreams” (Vex are of one mind)…

3 Likes

Hmmm… in the Trials of Osiris card http://www.ishtar-collective.net/cards/trials-of-osiris#toland-the-shattered it states that it wants the fireteams to work together effortlessly, as if in a hive mind 1.
2, maybe the six eyes mentioned in the final message are the nine(?) or maybe the leadership of those triangle dudes :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Im just curious but how are you making a connection between Osiris’ cult and the Aeon Cult? As far as the eyes go i tend to shy away from relating them to the nine as whenever there is talk of the nine there are always nine members.

Even in The Long Walk in which the ghosts could be considered “eyes” there are ghosts labeled up to 9.

4 Likes

That’s why I considered the second option because the message says that something is looking from beyond, I interpreted that statement as a “fly on the wall” group of entities that are planning on intervening. Either in our benefit or not. The only groups I know are “flies on the wall” is the leadership of those triangle people because they haven’t intervened yet, and the Nine.
Or the eye just refers to the Osiris logo

3 Likes

While the idea of the Nine is interesting,I’m gonna have to say no. I’d say it’s pretty clear that it’s referring to three Guardians, and as far as we know, there are no Guardians amongst the Nine, considering the way Xur and the Emissary address us, and what they tell us of the Nine. In regards to the “Alone I see with my six eyes. Eyes watching from beyond the heliopause.” While I do find it interesting, I do not believe we can conclusively say what exactly this refers to. For example, the statement could be referring to seeing other eyes watching from beyond the heliopause. It could be referring to the cult itself, certainly, but given that they appear to be Guardians, I favor the idea that they believe they are the only ones aware of the eyes beyond the heliopause. That only their eyes can see it, in a way. Hope that all makes sense!

6 Likes

The one theory I saw that made the most sense was that the message is from kabr. His assimilation with the vex made him confusing to everyone else, but it also makes some sense with the “six eyes” thing. Past future and present kabr is “Alone I see with my six eyes”

just a thing

4 Likes

Wow. I realized the messages were linked and put them together, but I didn’t even think to dissect them the way you did.

3 Likes

Wow, that was intense

3 Likes