Taken and the Ascendant realm

I think you are right. A few days ago I did an adventure (sorry, no transcript) which seems to back up your theory. Here’s the gist of the adventure:

I was on IO, there is a gathering of Taken trying to build a portal to a Hive Ascendant realm. The mechanics of the adventure are to kill a bunch of Taken, grab an orb (or tomb husk or whatever) then slam it into a Blight in order to prevent the portal’s completion. I had to repeat this a few times until the boss arrived. The boss was a witch named The Eye of Savathun. To me this basically confirms that Savathun is involved with the Taken somehow (still unclear but probably as their new leader) and using them to try to enter our system.

1 Like

I am not sure about that. As Eris stated in gameplay (not sure where) : The Taken can only be controlled by those who know the ways of the Deep." Last time I checked, Savathun doesn’t know how to do this. Unless, there is something major I missed…

Well, we haven’t exactly been watching Savathun closely since she and Oryx parted ways…

2 Likes

I’m more curious about what happened to Quira, blade transformed.

Did they cut a deal?

Did Savathun use Quiras simulation of Oryx to control the Taken!!! <---- spinfoil hat, activate!!!

2 Likes

My personal theory is that Quria itself is controlling the Taken. We know from the Books of Sorrow that Quria still has some free will even though it’s been taken. The last we saw of it was that it was given as a gift to Savathun, now we know it has servants. (you fight one in an adventure on Io)

So it’s big enough to have servants like Crota and Oryx. Maybe it’s bigger than we expect.

1 Like

But… all of that happened before the battle…

I think this might’ve happened during the battle, right before Mara summons the Harbingers.

Could the fifth species be the “Arkborn” referenced in the Leviathan raid gear? Ethereal in nature, don’t recall hearing about them before.

Athough their “ships” are described as interstellar conduits that dwarf leviathans, so I am not sure that scale fits either concept art piece.

No, the fifth species is definitely something significant to the overall scheme of things in Destiny. For all intents and purposes the Arkborn would be considered Cabal because the Cabal are a cosmopolitan empire of species while the Arkborn are extremely minor and referenced only in the Cabal booklet and Raid gear, whereas the fifth race has been around since TTK as concept art – the Taken were once considered by a lot of fans to be the fifth race upon release but they were revealed to be belonging to the Hive.

The fifth race will be as significant as the Fallen, Cabal, Vex, and Hive were, and their own uniqueness will make them stand out. The Arkborn seem to be isolationist in nature and one only agreed to be a part of Calus’ Shadows if he would go away and let her people be.

2 Likes

I mean, I’ve seen multiple people guess that it’s a pure form of the darkness, but it also seems very vex in nature which makes sense considering the next DLC.

I’m pretty sure Arkborn were some race that Calus tests with his trials (raid).

But Vex don’t really need a fleet do they? In a mission on Venus your ghost tells you that the Vex can ‘teleport’ (forgotten the word he used) across entire star systems. Why would they need the ships? I think it probably is a fifth race.

3 Likes

Yeah, they’re definitely dropping hints that they’ve taken over for Oryx, especially since some Taken majors have titles like “hand of Savathun” sorta like what happened with some of the Hive before Dark Below came out (E.G The Blades of Crota)

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve always thought the Vex seem more capable of taking over while other species have to go through so much tedious traveling. They’re also so much cooler :sunglasses:

1 Like

Travelling space time in porsche #vexhype

2 Likes

I definetly think that Quria is an imprortant peice in Savathun’s set, but I don’t think it has any solitary motives/plans.
It would be so cool to see Quria in person!

1 Like

Her Harbingers were implanted in the Dreadnaught to have children of their own. I imagine it was a waiting game, unless the children suddenly sprung up to full grown in a few weeks
She also was teleported off the ship before it exploded. Remember when Eric got us away from Crota’s funeral.
Bungie Devs have confirmed that Mara Sov is still alive

Do you have a link to that?

this has nothing to do with Taken but with the fifth race in destiny. even the concept art is called THE DARKNESS. watch Byf’s and MyelinGames videos on that topic.

At the time I shared that, it was listed in our Dreadnaught page gallery as a “Taken Concept fleet” before we moved it to Unknown extragalactic race. But its name has always been “File:Destiny-Concept-Fleet.jpg”.