What was the purpose of the black garden, and will we ever see it again in destiny?

They are small versions of the worm gods, and the worm gods are the embodiment of darkness. As said in The Books of Sorrow, and every Hive has one of those small worms in them. These worms are what the hive actually look like, without any of the armor and spikes. These worms use the sword logic to gain power to feed off of by killing things. Any leftover energy is given to the next person up in the chain in command until it gets to Oryx, Savathun, and Xivu Arath and they end up with a massive amount of energy to feed their worms. Here is the book that explains it:

1 Like

I couldnā€™t think of a better word to describe it. I would agree with you because Uldren even says, ā€œYou have no idea how thin the line between the light and the darkness is.ā€ It was the closest thing I could think of.

2 Likes

back on the subject of the traveler, is/will there be a speaker for the shard of the traveler?

1 Like

and my next question, when you die in a no-respawn-zone, a message pops up that you were consumed by the darkness. does that mean that you become a minion of the darkness like the hive/taken? the idea of fighting a taken guardian is really cool to me.

1 Like

It is possible for something like that to happen, but I personaly donā€™t believe it will be because of the darkness zone seeing as you just have to redo that part from a checkpoint. If we do see a dark guardian, maybe from the ships I mentioned above, they might be like Dredgen Yor who started out as a light bearer, but walked down a dark path. These might not be the taken guardians you wanted, but they might be the closest thing

2 Likes

@LittleLight, If you think about it, wouldnā€™t they have also mentioned that there were some forms of a Taken Guardian?
I always thought that Lightbearers couldnā€™t become Taken, because that energy would instead, always consume The Light and itā€™s power rather than take the life force.
Because, Guardians are Zombies, and the Taken normally, well, take, living things, but because we really are just flesh golems powered by The Light. I thinkā€¦

1 Like

Uldrenā€™s use of ā€œBaitā€ makes me think that the darkness in the Black Garden was intentionally left to alert something else that the Traveler was beginning to recover, like, say, the Pyramid SHips at the end of D2

so, the black garden was used as traveler radar? why would the vex need to keep tabs on the traveler?

I dunno about that, but the Vex would keep tabs on the Traveler because of their intense math-ness.
After all, while they canā€™t simulate the Light, they do need to count us Guardians in their stuff. Weā€™ve already proven why they need us.
(Atheon dead, Panoptes dead. Literally a lot of them killed, and countless timelines stopped.)

wait, when you are fighting the vex in the black garden, the heart looks like its sentient. could the traveler and the black garden/any other form of the darkness talk to each other?

More than likely, now that I think about it. We know the Light and Traveler can speak, as seen in our Super mission for Forsaken. As for the Darkness? Who knows?
Itā€™s a good question.

I believe the darkness can communicate with itself or the Garden if it is darkness. They could use the Deep to communicate if they can get there.