Who Is Nokris? - Deep Speculation/Theory

The Hive host was an Ogre for the Darkness to cohabit with.

1 Like

Kind of an aside but I think this is a great point:

Ghost Fragment: Vex 4 even says:

“I think the Traveler did something paracausal to Venus. Something that cut across space and time. The Citadel seems to come from the past of a different Venus than our own. It doesn’t have to make any sense by our logic, any more than the Moon’s new gravity.”

I think that, when dealing with the Vex, terms like “before” and “after” get kind of confusing.

3 Likes

That’s a cool hypothesis, but that rests on a multitude of factors, like just how old the Traveler is and if there are others like it in other “universes”, if the “time-travel” of the Vex is to make sense in any way, and whether or not the Vex were actually untouched by the Traveler and so forth.

To me, the Traveler and the Darkness are two constants of the Destiny universe, always there, with a beginning in the distant past that predates everything, two living representatives of their disparate philosophies.

1 Like

I agree. I always thought of the Traveler as being multiversal.

Is it a possibility that Nokris was made by the data from Quria’s simulation of Oryx?

That would be Aurash, not Nokris. And Quria “technically” was the simulation, given that Oryx addressed both it and the Hydra. Last we heard Quria’s part of Savathun’s retinue now, unless it has since died in the interval between its Taking and Oryx’s arrival here on Earth, which could be easily be as long ago as a billion years.

I was referring to the data sent back to the VoG before Quria was captured. Nokris was not in the book of sorrows so either Oryx chose not to put Nokris in the worlds grave, or the Vex somehow wiped Nokris from history

That’s possible but I doubt Oryx would be honoring him on the Dreadnaught if Nokris was a Vex creation.

I understood Quria to be a mind that runs simulations, not that she was a simulation. This card repeatedly refers to Quria’s simulations including the specific one she chooses to manifest.

Oryx addressed both regardless; he considered them to be one and the same. Of course, that could just be his arrogance, but I’d take his word for it. Quria may have ran the simulation, but it was something it used to test Oryx; the god didn’t falter once.

I always understood it as Quria addressing Oryx directly through the projection of Aurash.

maybe we should dissect how the Hives are born. we know they can either produce spawns on their own or with a male. But we also know that Oryx cut a worm in half which is how his twin daughters came to life. it’s difficult to interpret this behaviour, whether he knew that’s going to happen or not & also why it happened in the first place & why he calls them his daughters. was it a worm with his bloodline? also what is a “worm” in this case, a larva that hasn’t been introduced to a hive’s body yet or did he remove a fed worm & then cut it? also why do the worms on the Dreadnaught have the same eyes as the Hive? aaahh so many questions…

the fact that Nokris’ statue stands beside Crota I’d suggest that he was born the same way as Crota? by finding a fitting spawn, whatever that means…

The ogre spawn that he brought into the deep was never confirmed to be Golgoroth. Perhaps it was Nokris who was born of the deep

1 Like

That too, but it was observing him through it also.

I guess it must have been a larva and it was the worm that kept its halves alive. Hive biology is incredibly strange, and driven mostly by artificial evolution.

Crota must have distinguished himself for Oryx to speak directly to him; only the best of his sons and daughters would he deign to speak to. Crota was just a nameless Thrall that survived whatever test they go through, violent testing to be sure. Nokris may have been elected the same way, but of course we find no record in the Books. Oryx’s mate is also deemed not important enough to have even a name or warrant more than a line.

True enough; I never saw Golgoroth and that Ogre as one and the same, otherwise we’d have had more difficulty, and it would have been the final boss, not Oryx, has that been the case.

Golgoroth was also a lesson to Crota, who asked for a Tablet of Ruin to be given to him, and he would tithe “one side of [his] blade” to Oryx, meaning whatever he killed with the Tablet – i.e. Taking and killing through the Taken – half would go to Oryx. But Oryx had told him that Crota’s only gifts are his name and his first sword; the rest he had to earn or take for himself. Golgoroth probably has the very Tablet Crota wished to have.

1 Like

With all that in mind, all we can infer is that Nokris was important enough - by birth or by distinction - to be recognized, and for some reason never came up while we were ripping apart Oryx’s court.

1 Like

I might be way from it, but when searching for “Nokris Destiny” on google I found this picture Can I get your tought on it???

First result of “Nokris Destiny” is the Destinypedia article, most of which I wrote. Thanks for the screengrab, too.

Also, here’s the video that uses that picture. Destiny : Is This The Nokris We Have Been Looking For ???

Thanks for the link! It looks like we can’t have “facts” to help us dig through this. I just hope Destiny 2 will help to understand a bit more the lore.

Hopefully with D2 we can finally get answers to some of the biggest lore questions like Nokris.

As long as we have an in-game system to read up on lore, and moreover for that lore to have some impact on the game – like maybe a puzzle to solve that you’ll only get through reading a specific set of Grimoire cards – that’ll be great. Apart from more lore to tie up loose ends like why the Exo Stranger doesn’t have time to explain why she doesn’t have time to explain.