The Importance of Being Fenchurch

So, Fenchurch Everis claims to have been inside the Traveler. Between that and the Taken armor, something more seems to be at play here than fashion with Eververse. Thoughts?

2 Likes

It could be that they are exploring new ways to incorporate new things into the guardians armor or maybe it is just someone trying to get new ideas for armor.

I’m referring to the grimoire on Eververse’s cooperation with House Judgement and the Techeuns.

1 Like

Going off of Myelin Games? I find it extremely unlikely apart from it being a game mechanic.

True but if the Taken armor and weapons were merely a hand mechanic or cosmetic, then why would Bungie write grimoire explaining them?

No, Eververse selling them is a game mechanic, same as those Treasure boxes.

Oh, I get it. When you put it that way, I agree; it’s entirely possible that the item descriptions in those and in Dawning and Festival items are simply vehicles for extra lore, and the video and this topic have been just navel-gazing.

For the curious, the video is here. Sorry it’s not in the topic post; I was on mobile.

Here is the Ghost Fragment: Mysteries 2 this could be what he saw inside the traveler. Thoughts?

"Things I saw inside

A wild river and a broken dam (or maybe it’s just the sea crashing through a narrow gap I can’t be sure). Waves slam through the gap and where they hit the stone they throw up pillars of spray that pierce the mist and crash down in thunder. There’s a giant in the cataract, trying to wade against the current, and I can tell it wants to reach the lever and pull the lever which will seal off the flow or maybe give it the sword, but the torrent throws it back so it just keeps its head down and tries to push on. I can’t see the face but it breathes out white smoke. I feel for it hard.

A world painted around the interior like a stranger Earth everted and glued inside itself but I don’t believe this one it’s too much like a metaphor.

A switchboard or a train station, empty, dead (waiting). The tunnels branch off into infinity. I stare down one for a long time and see a pale worm move in hungry coils around itself. I think this one is the most likely although I might have brought the worm.

An egg but I’m not sure if the broth inside is warm still, or if it’s gone to rot, or if the warmth comes from the struggles of the tiny winged zygote or the bleed from the wound or the thoughts of something thinking very hard.

A star I think. We count on stars as steady friends because they always rise and always shine but a star’s a delicate truce: an explosion caught by its own mass so that it can’t erupt and can’t collapse. Thus I imagine the state of the machine might be. But one force or another has gone awry and now it rests here, snuffed and broken, waiting for the two rival forms of ruin to be set in balance again."

1 Like

Not a bad assumption, though this is either all metaphor or else very vivid visions. However, the Traveler’s broken half is visible from right underneath the City itself so I’d imagine there’d be some curious people who’d gone inside to look at it.

1 Like

The last sentence makes that very possible

“But one force or another has gone awry and now it rests here, snuffed and broken, waiting for the two rival forms of ruin to be set in balance again.”

Interesting. The analogy to a star is not entirely accurate, because as it burns away its fuel some of that mass flows to the core and when the core becomes too unstable (i.e. too heavy) it violently explodes outward from internal collapse.

As I wrote that, though, I was struck by something. The explosion of Light that ended the Collapse, which pushed back the Darkness; mightn’t that be the Traveler’s “supernova”? Then what’s left is perhaps is the “shell”, the leftover bits.

1 Like

That is very interesting. But if we are comparing it to a star then the Traveler should be “dead” after the “supernova” happened.

Have you ever listened to the voices on the intercom at the Tower?

“-Traveler at 1 revolution per zenith.
-Traveler at minimum valence. The Light persists.
-Traveler approaching theta state.[
-Traveler declining 1 revolution per zenith.
-Traveler entering zenith.
-Traveler entering theta state.
-Traveler exiting epicycle. Returning to main cycle.”

Somehow the Traveler is still working and producing “light” through Valence even after the supernova that pushed the darkness back.

The part that interests me the most is Theta Waves. Theta waves are a product of REM sleep, and it is also a product of the brain dreaming while in REM sleep. Could it be that what Everis saw while inside the traveler was a dream of her own? Or a dream that belonged to the Traveler?

1 Like

Valence doesn’t work like that. It’s more appropriate to say that it is the number of electrons available for bonding chemically, although with our knowledge of the Light we don’t know how that relates to chemistry or even the “post-Traveler” understanding of chemistry.

The Traveler dreaming is a good hypothesis. In fact, I’d say that’s all the Traveler’s been doing since it heroic sacrifice. The release of all of that Light and creating Ghosts to help carry on that work must have been so draining that it (or she) “fell asleep”. Reminds me of an old theory that Destiny is actually the reverse of “Pathways into Darkness”, another Bungie game, where instead of us trying to stop a god from reawakening so that he wouldn’t destroy the world, we’re trying to reawaken this god so it could recreate ours. And then the enemies are those trying to stop us from doing so. It was a nice theory, tying somewhat into the Cthulhu mythos, but Destiny’s own mythology has made that both untenable and impossible.

Back to your statement, it could very well be that was a bleeding off of the Traveler’s current dreams. Reminds me of Ghost Fragment: Ghosts. It’s one of those few cards that don’t rightly fit into what we know of Destiny – ever since its original story was altered, anyhow. Maybe Destiny 2 or even Age of Triumph can shed some Light on the subject.

Huh. I thought that ghost fragment was a Bray family thing. You’re saying it was Fenchurch?

Yes. What Fenchurch saw while inside of the traveler.

I had no idea. Why does everything smell like copper? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Is it any coincidence the Traveler’s grimoire is collectively named Dreams of Alpha Lupi?

1 Like

No, I’m saying that it reminds me of that card. I honestly think that card has no known narrator and it is either someone dreaming or else it is a Ghost.

tbh I simply think that its a Hunter thing, exaggerating about their experience, maybe to top Cayde’s story about his stealth drives or just an excuse for why the inside of Traveler’s mask smells of vanilla, for Eververse’ marketing purpose.

but the more I think about vanilla…you know the Tahitian vanilla? it’s known for its quality & an important resource for the end product of vanilla & Tahiti is known for it’s unique flora & private “gardens”…& the Ghost fragment: mysteries 2 kinda describes a certain garden…or maybe my 3rd cup of Earl Grey was just too much :thinking:

but jokes aside, “Fenchurch” 's actually a botanic name :smirk:

It just occurred to me that it’s possible that Fenchurch didn’t mean he had been inside the Traveler, but that the Speaker and/or his mask had been inside the Traveler.

1 Like