Ana Bray Woke Rasputin: Link to Warmind DLC? [Warmind Mission 1 Spoilers]

In the original Destiny, our Guardian had to enter the Warmind’s Bunker and our Ghost scanned a console (link here). Our Ghost says this:

This was the first station to come back online after the Collapse. Shortly after that Rasputin regained control of the entire facility, but it all started here. Maybe Rasputin didn’t wake himself…?

I believe that Ghost’s suspicion is correct. I believe that Ana Bray may have awoken Rasputin from his slumber.

Why? Ana Bray has known about the Hive. Based off of what we see in the Warmind DLC, we know that Ana has known about the Hive on Mars. So what if she awoke Rasputin to defend the City, or at least himself from the Hive? We know from Ghost Scan: Rasputin Threat that Oryx considered Rasputin to be a threat:

Oryx views Rasputin as a threat. If we could gain control over his reach and wake all of the Warmind systems, we would see everything the Hive have hidden from us. No wonder they want Rasputin destroyed.

According to this quote from our Ghost, Rasputin and the other Warminds most likely know a lot about the Hive which the Vanguard clearly doesn’t, and Oryx didn’t like this.

So, Ana Bray may have woken Rasputin to either a) learn more about the Hive, or b) allow Rasputin to defend himself against the Hive. We know that Ana and Rasputin share a connection, as she didn’t turn out to be dead like the other guardians the Vanguard sent to communicate with Rasputin (I’m pretty sure they say this in the Fallen Saber strike, I just need to check).

So since Ana and Rasputin do share a connection, I believe Ana awoke Rasputin.

But we still have an important question. How does Ana remember? All Guardians are reborn with no memory of who they are. We know this is the same for Ana, as she is trying to find out her past. But how would she know where to look?

She probably got help from Tyra Karn. According to this Record here, Tyra learns of Hellas Basin.

“But if these records are correct, the facility operated on a far larger scale. It could have been the site of the initial Warmind development. Perhaps even a core site for Rasputin itself. This could have been where the Warmind was born.”

Later on, Tyra also says:

“Rahool still disagrees.”
“Rahool needs to get his head out of his engrams. This is why Guardians look for fragments of the Golden Age! We are the descendants of a lost civilization. Only by understanding what was can we understand what we are now. How the world we know came to be. And each artifact we find helps us interpret what we already know. Adds layers. New identities. We are experimenting in the laboratory of time, testing each observation through a crucible of evidence."

Through this we can come to the conclusion that Tyra wants Rasputin to be found, which would make Ana’s job a lot easier, of finding Rasputin

But how does this all relate to Warmind?

We know that Ana Bray is trying to stop the Hive from destroying Rasputin. How can the Hive do this? The DLC description tells us more:

Warmind continues your Guardian’s journey with an all-new story. Ana Bray, a Guardian long thought lost, searches for a connection to her past…one that could be lost forever on the polar ice caps of Mars. As Golden Age Warsats begin slamming into the ice, the glaciers begin to thaw, revealing the core of the Warmind Rasputin – and an ancient Hive army bent on its destruction. Now free, the Hive swarm in service to their god Xol. Help Ana discover her past and destroy the Hive’s gargantuan worm-god before it is too late.

The important details here are the last three sentences. Golden Age Warsats have been crashing into the ice, causing glaciers to thaw. But in order to continue, we have to use Record: Rasputin.

218CBI800JRS101
AI-COM/RSPN: ASSETS//POLARIS//IMPERATIVE
IMMEDIATE EVALUATION DIRECTIVE
This is a POLARIS ASSETS IMPERATIVE (secured/UNDISCLOSED)
This is an INTERNAL ALERT.
Multiple distributed Polaris axons report increased sterile neutrino patterning correlating to increase in AVGPOLARISTEMP. Reactivated areoseismic analysis detects high quantities of nonnative organic chitin.
Axon 5-Sierra’s event footprint includes evidence of vermiform parasites (UNCONFIRMED/RED).
One hypothesis on event mechanism (FLAG ACAUSAL). Possibility of HARD CIVILIZATION KILL EVENT is NONZERO.
Check variable AVGPOLARISTEMP
AVGPOLARISTEMP greater than or equal to MELTINGPOINT
I am assessing available VOLUSPA and CHARLEMAGNE resources.
I am assuming control of atmospheric defenses (Warsat COMPREHENSIVE) and invoking AURORA PALISADE.

Two definitions we must know to make context of this:

1. Chitin: a fibrous substance consisting of polysaccharides and forming the major constituent in the exoskeleton of arthropods and the cell walls of fungi.
  2. Vermiform: resembling or having the form of a worm.

Knowing this, we can interpret that Rasputin is indeed indicating the frozen Hive in Hellas Basin, Mars. We also know that Warsats are hitting Mars on Rasputin’s command.

Anyway, this leads to an important question: Why are the Warsats slamming around Hellas Basin to expose Rasputin’s core?

I have not found any substantial evidence on this part, so I cannot say an evidence supported hypothesis. However, I think that Rasputin underestimated the Hive, because the Grimoire never mentions anything about Xol. If Rasputin had known that one of the Worm Gods were there, maybe he would’ve acted differently.

That is what I believe may have happened, but I would like to know what you all think!

2 Likes