Can Ahamkara Control Minds?

You could never have brought down one of these, I said. Ever. Not the greatest Hunter, not the brawniest Titan.
Her eyes narrowed. She said, Oh? Is that so? And I saw right then that she wasn’t going to pass on the challenge.
I’ve murdered a Guardian, I thought. She’s going to die. It’ll be my fault.
And I looked at the piece of spine in my hand and wondered - why did I say that? What moved me to such pride?

Reading the above, my first thought was that the Ahamkara control minds. I still think that, and here is why-

Ahamkara and the Worm Gods. They are both of the same kind, same species. In the Books of Sorrow, specifically this here

Tomorrow he will wander the halls, speaking to his familiar, a dead white worm from the deep sea.

We know the King has a Worm, which is dead, however, in another verse here-

It’s dead, but it still speaks to me. It says: listen closely, oh vengeance mine…

The Worm speaks to Sathona, inducing her to do other things in the future. If a lesser Worm can do that, why not Ahamkara? Or is this one of the abilities that set the Ahamkara and Worm Gods apart?

I wouldn’t speculate total mind control until we know for certain. They can influence minds, definitely; manipulating, planting ideas, lowering inhibitions and gradually driving people insane in some cases. At least that’s what the gear descriptions seem to suggest.

2 Likes

You could argue that this sort of influence is similar to mind control, but drives victims insane as well. The gear suggests that they have a lot of power to influence and control. Maybe this is what drives victims insane - their minds are being warped by the Ahamkara. Most people wouldn’t be able to bear it. Their minds would snap.

3 Likes