I’m confused about the Hive and their worms

I have read all the books of sorrow and understand the bargain between the hive and the worms. The thing that I’m confused about are the ascendant hive specifically those with their own throne world (I.e. oryx and Crota)… if normal hive don’t kill they don’t get enough tithe and the worm eats them. But in the case of Oryx and other powerful hive they have a throne so if their worm ate them they’d just go back to their throne world and come back again… right? Could it be that the worms themselves are the reason these hive have throne worlds? Any ideas?

2 Likes

My understanding is the worms give the Hive their paracausal and ontological powers. If an ascendant loses enough tithe that their worm eats them, they die a final death.

at least ghosts don’t do that it would be a short game

1 Like

That is how I perceived it too. If the worm is not fed, the powerful Hive would lose their power and their throne world would fade, and they would die their final death to their worm when it ate them.

2 Likes

I believe that the worms are the source of the power that the Hive have over death. If they never had the worms, they never would have been able to “defeat” death. If they lost the worm, or the worm ate them, they would lose the powers that they have no matter what. The worms have the ability to destory them completly and utterly, or at least thats how I see the relationship between them. If the worms get unhappy and hungery, boom, dead Thrall, Acolyte, Knight, or Wizard, whether they are Acendant or not. The worms hold power over the death of any Hive.

1 Like

I’ll expand on this by saying this: the worms eating their host is like a tape worm if not fed enough it will start to consume the host its self. So let’s say you stop feeding it yes for a time you will still live however it eventually will have eaten the host entirely

1 Like

Gross, that is still extremely valid, but gross

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.