Identity of Mara Sov

Taox…I’ve heard that name before. Can’t remember, off to read up.

Mara is called an empty thing with two dead things inside her. She called her mother starlight and her father the dark. Think its Ghost Fragment Fallen 4.

Then the “membrane” we first encounter on Phobos is referee to as starlight…requires a “living host”… Her and her brother communicate in whispers the same way. Eris mentions it too, even the seven (think its the Coven card).

Something’s just…off. Like I’m looking at a puzzle without many pieces. Nothing concrete (but gives me something to think about while dying lots in crucible lol).

2 Likes

You’re making me want to discuss Mara’s indentity full swing. I’ll move this to a new topic, if that’s okay?

Okay, this can be the topic for our low-key investigation into Mara. Obviously more lore will be needed for conclusive information, but for now, it’s an enticing enough subject that it warrants a topic, in my opinion.

2 Likes

I’ll start with the first card I read that made me start to wonder whether she was only Awoken (although that’s probably going to be covered here anyway since I’m intrigued and it’s kind of related too).

Apologies if this is a little…disorganised. I’m attempting to use this to straighten my thoughts up and get some input. :slight_smile:

Ghost Fragment: Fallen 4 alludes to something different about her. Specifically it reads:

So the Kell sends challenge and warning. I AM LORD OF WOLVES, the Kell sends. YOU ARE AN EMPTY THING WITH TWO DEAD SOULS. THIS IS MY HOUSE. THESE ARE MY TERMS. SURRENDER AND I WILL ONLY TAKE YOUR SHIPS.

The Awoken fleet cuts their engines. Drifts. Wolf strike elements, torpedo-armed Skiffs hidden under jamming and camouflage, find their firing solutions.

The Queen’s ship broadcasts. I AM NOBLE TOO, she says, OH LORD OF WOLVES.

STARLIGHT WAS MY MOTHER. The Queen’s ship whispers in eerie erratic radio bursts. Servitors begin to report a strange taste in the void. AND MY FATHER WAS THE DARK.

Here, at last, too late, the Kell begins to feel fear. CALL ON THEM, THEN, the Kell sends, one last mocking signal before death and ruin, AND SEE WHAT HELP THEY OFFER.

So the Queen calls, as only she can. Every Servitor in every Ketch hears it. Every Captain and Baron roars at their underlings as sensors go blind, as firing solutions falter, as reactors stutter and power systems hum with induction. Stealth fails. Space warps. The House of Wolves shouts in spikes of war-code, maneuvers wild, fires blind.

Behind the Queen’s ship, the Harbingers awaken.

The only thing I’ve read about dead things are Guardians or Ghosts.
However, The Coven reads:

The Harbingers, which to prepare?” Shuro was determined to see this all through. Excitement was taught to be kept at bay.

“We cannot send them all.” Portia reminded.

“All but one, the oldest. It stays with us. Sedia, Kalli, Shuro, take the children, tell her they are to be planted into a dead thing to have children of their own.”

The only other references to starlight are from her brother:
The Aftermath reads:

He tried again, to home in on her, to find if she truly gave herself for this battle. He felt close to something, a hum of starlight, then shield deactivation broke his focus.

Ghost Fragment: The Reef 4 reads:

And the prince felt the little hum of starlight ripple through him. The one that let him know she would be pleased with what he had done.

And from the “membrane” we first encounter during The Coming War mission (which apparently requires a living host according to the Ghost scan).
The Taken card reads:

She agrees that what we observe — the apertures, the starlight, and of course the Taken entities — is not Hive magic.

There’s a lot more to it than this obviously but I’m thinking if the “starlight” is the link between the Hidden (not sure if it’s what they refer to as the veil), it would make it a lot easier for communication. It would probably (conjecture mainly) be how they could “speak” to Toland.

Getting into how she became Mara Sov (sorry, bit confusing there but bear with me), Ghost Fragment: Awoken 2 reads:

I was nothingness. If I existed before, I existed as possibility, as potential, stretched thin across the aether. And maybe there was a body that looked like my body, complete with a soul that could be confused for someone rather like me. What I am now was not yet real. And then I was born, and the universe was free to begin.

Others were present at my birth.

A great ceremony had just begun. Because newborns are selfish beasts, I assumed I was the object of attention.

I didn’t notice the singing until the singers fell silent. And then She appeared.

She was above me. Ethereal and handsome and elegant. I assumed my face was like her face and that odd idea gave me strength enough to smile.

“Secrets,” she said. “Creation is built on secrets and the encryptions that keep those secrets safe.”

I made my first sound. It meant nothing but she understood it as a question.

“We are a beautiful creation,” she said. “And we must keep ourselves very safe.”

Honestly, I have no idea about that one, unless it’s Mara Sov herself speaking.

Referring back to the mention of the Kell of Wolves when he called her an empty thing with two dead souls, this seems to explain it a bit. Ghost Fragment: Awoken 3 reads:

Darkness ruled the sky. The world around us had shattered, and it seemed vanishingly unlikely that we would outlive this one awful day. Yet the fear didn’t come from the surrounding mayhem and despair. The source was inside my skin. I was utterly terrified of my own awful nature.

And which part scared me?

Inside me was an essence woven from beyond. Was I Awoken before this?

She was still in my head. I could hear her song growing fainter.

Gone?

Not yet.

A new crippling terror was taking over.

I was focused entirely on my fear. But I had to make an effort.

And it occurred to me then that nothing in the universe was more dangerous than human hubris.

I still had this Other within? But the human side was what mattered: Weak and foolhardy, sure to fail in the next moment.

That’s why I was afraid.

Then someone spoke.

Maybe it was me. I don’t remember.

I was trying to focus, and a new thought took me: My soul lay between those two entities. And that’s how I am still: The boundary, the seam.

The friction.

And that’s when the fear began to fade.
So…empty thing with two dead souls? Could it be only duality of nature or is there something more to it?

For a long time now, I’ve had a thought that Mara Sov is Savathun.

This reminds me of all of the Snoke theorists in Star Wars…

What if Mara Sov was actually Mara Sov?

1 Like

Mabye Mara was Taox and fled to fundement after her fleet was destroyed

1 Like

Most of what leads me to wonder about Mara is her line in the TTK opening, “The Awoken are my family now”. As if she’s not one of them, or had a different former family.

Gets Hadium flake hat

Mara sov is Nokris, illuminati confirmed

1 Like

I always assumed she meant her human self before she became Awoken.

1 Like

I think what Mara Sov did with the House Of Wolves is what she did with the Hive in the Coming War. You know, she summons that void torpedo thing?

Actually, the queen didn’t use the Harbingers against the Wolves. She merely created an illusion of them in what was, essentially, a giant bluff.

Except at Ceres. Then she obliterated half of them and their Kell.

2 Likes

That’s true, my mistake.

Okay so the part about two dead souls seems to be a nod to her being awoken - part light, part darkness - two separate lives (her father was darkness and her mother was star light). I do not honestly think the Awoken Queen would be some kind of alien or even Hive for that matter. The reasoning for this is that 1) The hive invade the Reef often as referenced in Crucible Arenas#The Drifter. 2) Why then does she refer to the Awoken as her family, and why does she care so much about them?

Maybe her old family ditched her, and the Awoken took her in. But what about Prince Uldren then? How does he fit in?

I do not think so. You see, I have a feeling Mara Sov was an Awoken girl just like any other, though the fact that her parents had died - presumably during the Collapse - left her to care for her Brother Uldren. Eventually, like we built the Last City with the Speaker leading us, the Awoken built the Reef with the Queen - Mara Sov ruling them. Now based on one of the cards (can’t remember exactly which one) it is indicated that the Queen rose to power due to her ability to play situations and her manipulation. So I am thinking that she probably became leader of the awoken due to her wit and cunning. However I do not think Toax or any other Darkness character would actually care about the Awoken at all. She does. And the fact that she and her brother share an emotional attachment and loyalty to both each other and “a people” suggest they are simply humans changed during the Collapse.

Wait, what happened why?

O nothing wrong card posted

What do you mean? You said Mara Was another entity or something and you posted a card to support it. You mean the card you chose was wrong?

1 Like