Next Darkness Power: Poison

Ironically, that’s 100% accurate

1 Like

Pretty neat knowing there’s a semi-paracasual force existing only to try to screw us over. (Would it be semi-paracasual? It sounds right to me but idk)

To screw everyone over. Us, the Hidden Swarm, her own Nephew’s Crota and Nokris. She don’t care, she literally lives off of tricking people and giving them headaches, among other things.

1 Like

Yeah but I wanted to feel special so I just ignored the rest of them.

Anyway, back on topic, Poison Subclasses. Though poison isn’t exactly an accurate description for what we’re referring to, see as it seems to straight up suck the life force out of people. So, I feel the words “Decay” or “Necrotic” is a much more accurate word to describe that type of Poison for these subclasses. Or, just call them Hive subclasses. Whenever I think of “Hive Subclasses,” my mind goes to what is essentially what the Hive equivalent of the Guardian classes, but there’s technically only 2: Knights and Wizards. But my theory’s always round out to either of of the two following strings…

1. Hunter = Acolyte / Titan = Knight / Warlock = Wizard

2. Hunter = Knight / Titan = Ogre / Warlock = Wizard

Now, you can probably see the issue when trying to make a 1:1 ratio between the Hive and Guardian classes.

2 Likes

We also might want to remember something that does exactly what we’re talking about and where it came from. Thorn and Necrotic Grip both made by Dredgen Yor. Might be a place to start looking at him for actual examples of what it could be? He made something that sucked the life out of people, which fits into what all of us are theorizing so it might work.

Well…yes…and no. Dredgen Yor did make Thorn, yes (even though it was by accident). Though no, because Dredgen Yor didn’t make the Necrotic Grip. If I’m understanding it correctly, the Necrotic Grip was made from the research and power of an unknown artifact that I think was made by the followers of Yor. So, I don’t know which would be best to analyze. Thorn is a mutated gun caused by hive wizard bones, and the Necrotic Grip is made from an artifact made/found by the Shadows of Yor. And even then, as stated in the lore tab,
“The artifact doesn’t operate like traditional Hive tech, which is our closest analogue. A cult of deranged fanatics can mass produce knockoffs, but we can’t even tell you what it’s made from.” So, if i’m correct on the artifacts’ creators being the Shadows of Yor, then they didn’t just use Hive, they got some other dark stuff that they put in there.

So maybe the artifact is the best thing to analyze. Or, at least to take notes on. But my understanding of the lore tab is a but fuzzy, for it seems to only imply its origin.

1 Like

Here’s a link to the lore we’re referring to, just so nobody has to look for it in the future:

Looked at it the other day and it said “Project day 65. Another accidental discharge today. We realized that Yor’s little creation is hungry, so we fed it more. It certainly performs in exchange; the activity is intriguing after it feasts.” as well, which is why I said that. Personally, I think that the cult knockoff part is referring to knockoffs of the Grips or Thorn, mainly because we know they did it to Thorn, so it would make sense for them to do it here as well, but the specific one they are testing is one Yor himself made. That’s how I interpret it at least, so it could be way off.

As for what we see in the artifact, we only know a couple of things about it. One is that it uses poison, or that’s the closest thing we understand, from the quote " Much like a viper, its bite does not bring about instant death. Instead, its venom cajoles. It co-opts your beating heart into a death clock, ticking down your last moments. Your own pulse kills you", and that it has some tie in whatever way to Yor or his followers from what was said above or in your post. Another potential “power” it wields is the corruption of the mind. While this may seem far-fetched, if you look at the Warlock in charge of researching the Grips, they change through it. At the start of it, they “… ran our first test of the artifact’s… let’s call them “necrotic properties. We used cattle; they were large enough to survive the initial discharge. The results have been… upsetting. No more animal testing” This is very different from what we see later at the end of the lore after as many as three potential murders to see the effects on a person. The Warlock says, " I have to say, the process is so elegant; the science involved almost seems poetic. It may be reproducible. Just imagine how much more I could’ve learned if the scanners were all active at the time. Project day 77. Another accidental discharge. This time, I ensured the scanners were running beforehand.” Which I believe is a very dramatic and strange shift from what was happening at the beginning.

Just thought of this while looking again for why I thought Yor made it, but man, that is, in my humble opinion, something that could work. I really want to hear what you guys think about this, as I think it could be a really interesting side effect of whatever is making the Grips run. Could also connect it to the Pyramids this way?? We see them doing something kind of but not really similar, but that’s an unconnected thing that I just wanted to toss in as a side note.

I definitely believe that whole “corruption of the mind” thing. But I believe it is more related to the Darkness than to “Poison,” and I have some reasoning. Big one being corruption has always been connected to the Darkness. The wizards’ bones corrupted Yor, the power of Stasis corrupted Eramis from her anger and desire for vengeance on the Traveler, Clovis was corrupted by Darkness honing in on his desire for evolution. And Clovis is actually what my focus is on. For, oh, super small spoilers for the Legacy’s Lament lore book, when Clovis awakes in his Exo body, he goes into a state where his personality is present, but any and all influences aren’t (I think that’s the best way to put it). When he wakes up, he begins having order barked at him from the Deep Stone Crypt AI, an exact copy of Clovis’ consciousness, one that has his personality AND influences imprinted. And, I assume, these influences include those from the Darkness. Eventually, when the Clovis Exo has a choice on whether or not to follow the orders of the Clovis AI, he refuses it, saying that he has no sound reason, just a feeling he has.
TL;DR, A Clovis who isn’t influenced by Darkness rejects a Clovis who is influenced just because it feels like the right thing to do. So there is some evidence that Darkness, if listened to, can cause a corruption of the mind that makes them…lose their morality, so to speak. Which is interesting to see, since there are some records of people who rejected the Darkness’ influence and went insane, turning into mindless followers.

1 Like

Yes, that sequence between the Clovis Exo (Banshee-44) and Clovis AI (Clovis Bray) is very confusing.

1 Like

Back to the Dredgen Yor thing. If we have the Stranger for Europa and using Stasis… We might have Dredgen Yor coming to the planet for poison, and teaching us how to corrupt our light and reshape it just like he did to make Thorn (and possible Necro Grips)

1 Like

Isn’t Dredgen Yor dead?

1 Like

Yes however there could be any number of ways to bring him back, for starters maybe the darkness resurrects him, maybe we speak to his soul similar to how we communicate with toland

1 Like

Lore wise, it’s kind of questionable as to whether or not he’s gone dead, or similar to us dead. I think it’s pretty likely that he’s still existing as something or somewhere. If you look at the lore where Malphur shoots him with the Golden Gun, at the very end of that scene, Malpur says something about a whisper that said: “Nothing ends”. I think that it’s Yor saying this as he becomes something different that we haven’t seen or known of. Really it’s up to interpretation, but I think that if the great Bungo wanted to bring him back, they could do something similar to Toland like what Just_A_Shadow said.
Here’s what I was referencing:

Yeah I was thinking a sort of toland shadow ball thing or maybe like a humanoid figure like the nightmares from the moon.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.