Variks’ “insect-like chattering”

I know I’m very late to this but this randomly and recently popped into my mind… from the point that we first met Variks to before Beyond light, his dialogue never included his chattering. But during and after beyond light it is in almost every other sentence he speaks. Is this just something the devs added for extra effect or could there be some lore reason as to why he does this. Why do other eliksni such as Eramis and mithrax not have this insect-like chattering?

1 Like

Aside from making the usually obligatory joke about Dee Bradley Baker voicing both Variks in D2 and Trench in Clone Wars (makes a very similar noise), the answer that most people seem to accept is that he’s faking it.

Spider remarks that Variks continuously makes himself seem smaller and less-threatening…which tracks, because he completely loses his “accent” in the outburst against Eramis in Beyond Light. It’s very likely that he’s been using this act since his work with the Awoken, given that none of them seemed to take him all that seriously (which is a sentiment echoed even through the other Eliksni). He met us while working with them; it’s not like he can drop the act now.

As far as we know, Spider has a legitimate accent. Misraakskel (Mithrax, Kell of Light) and Variks the Loyal iirc can both competently speak English without trouble. Interesting that you noticed the lack of Variks’s chattering in the earlier missions (although he does a few times in the first mission or two). But it’s likely a fabricated thing. Variks’s MO tends to be to put up a front that he is smaller, weaker, less competent, etc. than he really is because he is then less of a perceived threat — and so, in turn, others will make themselves less of a threat to him. As far as I know, Misraakskel only fakes an accent so his perfect English isn’t super unnerving. Though there is his mask in the way, which will cause some distortion. (Though I suspect that Eliksni’s comms are usually inside the ether mask… for obvious reasons).

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.