We never fought a Worm God on Mars?

Yes because we killed oryx, Crota and axsis in the past

I think you may be talking about this one:

“Were you tricked by the worm that chased the Warmind? Did you truly believe you’d fought one of the beings that the Hive call gods? Ha!”

Also found this one:

“Eir. Ur. Yul. That is the cry now, that is the cry now that the littlest worm has shamed its kin…”

That’s a Toland sound byte is it not?

"In the beginning, there were five.

Yul, the Honest Worm. Akka, the Worm of Secrets. Eir, the Keeper of Order. Ur, the Ever-Hunger. Xol, Will of the Thousands. And they were Virtuous.

In time, Yul spoke truth and bargained well. Its children escaped the Fundament and spread throughout the worlds. They followed the words of the Deep and brought low many agents of the Sky. They took, and a portion of all they took was returned to the Virtuous.

They grew strong.

In time, Auryx learned Akka’s secret. That he was stronger than the gods. That they had given their power, and in giving, it was diminished. Auryx rose up and slew Akka. He took, and he grew strong with Akka’s power.

After the five became four, Yul spoke.

Behold my majesty. Behold my crushing might, my staggering size, my scales that shine with an oppressive gleam.

Behold my wings, which create winds that sweep through the stars.

Together, we have called life to Fundament, and made that life thrive. Protected it from extinction. They are our hosts, and we are their strength.

But we do not give. We take. For this is the struggle to exist. We are not immune. The weakest of us must give way to the stronger.

And Xol felt [fear|cunning], for it knew that Yul would in time turn its teeth to Xol.

But Akka was not the only one with a secret. Xol had a pact with a forgotten child, abandoned by its father.

The cursed one took a fraction of Xol’s power, and in return, Xol took the heart from the child, whose name had been struck from the World’s Grave. The orphan called life out of death, and fed that power to Xol.

Together, they would find a new world to rule.

And the five became three.

I, the child become [herald|death], record these words. They are not of the Sorrow. They are mine."

This was from one of the web-lore entries that Bungie dropped before Warmind. It kind of comes together with what Toland says. The part that I bolded basically says that when Xol and Nokris made the pact, the fraction of power that Xol had as a Worm god was transferred to Nokris, therefore he was demoted from the original 5 gods (five became three). He is a “lesser” worm.

Yes, it’s when we meet him in one of the Ascendant challenges.

That is not a connection I had made. Well done.

1 Like

Thanks, those web-lore entries are full of important information and they are easy to miss!

I had always assumed the “Five became Three” to refer to Xol leaving the physical group of Worm Gods, not the actual caste. It makes sense that giving a portion of power away would diminish Xols standing.

I edited one of my earlier comments and added another Toland quote. The one about “the call”, it seems as though he wasn’t demoted, but exiled, just like Nokris. The sword logic is their code and Xol and Nokris defied that logic, in order to create their own form of tithing/feeding of the Light.

1 Like

(Ideas my be a little by off so no hate :wink:
We never actually killed Xol or Oryx. Despite the fact that they no longer remain in their physical forms. It turns out that the killing of Xol and Oryxs physical forms was actually what they wanted in the long term. This all relates back to two weapons forged in darkness. The Touch of Malice and the Whisper of the Worm. First the Touch of Malice. When you first defeat Oryx you get a “Ravenous Heart” (as well as other items from the raid). Now the “Ravenous Heart” just flashes on your screen and you really never see it again. However this ravenous heart has more then meets the eye. Now once you complete the full quest you will have obtained the Touch of Malice. Oryx always intended for this weapon to be built. In the case that he was killed he knew that whoever killed him needed to be more powerful then him. Thus, creating a vessel for himself so that he could be eternal. Now on top of being eternal. Now as he would be in this vessel he would be being fed with strength by all the enemies you slay with the weapon. Now Xol had the same idea in mind but with one difference, he perfected it. Being a worm god he may have had more knowledge of immortality then Oryx. Now the reason you can tell that the design of “The Whisper of the Worm” is completely taken. Now this is completely all my own speculation and I hope that either you agree, you have a better idea of what’s going on, or you disagree. All good options :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.