We never fought a Worm God on Mars?

I remember running through an ascendant challenge in the Dreaming City. I wasn’t expecting much of it when I see a glowing orb. As usual, Toland greeted me, however this time it was with something that I had never expected to hear. He said “Do you truly believe what you faced was a Worm God? No, no, no…” For the life of me, I can not find this anywhere online but I heard him say it. What does this mean? Was Xol a Worm God? Was what we fought even Xol?

I feel that what ever Toland may say should be taken with a grain of salt. I am sure I am not alone in thinking that the strike where we kill Xol, a worm god, was evisceratingly disappointing in light of the fact that it took us a Raid to kill Oryx. That aside, I have no evidence to dispute the “death” of Xol in “Will of the Thousands.”

1 Like

Like you, I have a recollection of someone in-game saying that Xol wasn’t actually a worm god but a representation of it. Or maybe I’m confusing Xol with one of the Ahamkara in the dreaming city? Actually, that’s it. I’m pretty sure when we hunt down Mara’s brother we think we kill one of those creatures, but in reality, it’s some sort of representation of it. This is so confusing. :smiley:

2 Likes

Xol is a Worm God, definitely. But Nokris could summon only his part. Or it is because of Xol’s place among the Worm’s. Because he always described as the weakest of them. Or the true form of Xol is Whisper and we have to fight with his temptation

1 Like

Are you suggesting that the “Xol” we fought and killed was only an aspect of the true Xol?

1 Like

Yes because true Worm God must have some sort of special powers like these which Oryx gained and be at least as strong as Oryx maybe even stronger. And we know that Nokris a necromancer so he could just fill some lump of chitin with Xol’s powers

That is an interesting stance to take. It is plausible but afaik there is not any support for that in the lore. An intriguing speculation for sure.

But we have a Whisper which Xol is

Xol would be much, much, much, more powerful than Oryx. In Sword Logic, you fight to gain strength and Oryx follows this so he would kill them to grow more powerful, but he can’t. Granted he does kill Akka but Akka let him so he could have the power to take, or at least that’s what I understand. The Worm Gods are Gods to the Hive, even one as powerful as Oryx. The fact that we killed Xol is either because he let us and it’s part of his plan, or because the part of him we fought was weaker than his true form. There really isn’t a way for us to kill something more powerful than a raid boss, in a strike unless said being is acting out a plan or just a puppet of his true form.

2 Likes

I disagree. Xol is the weakest of the Worms and Oryx is said to be stronger than the Worms in at least two lore entries(1,2). In light of that, I am more willing to believe that we were able to at least mostly kill Xol in the strike, as in killing Oryx in his throne world was tantamount to taking his power much the same as Oryx took Akkas in killing it.

I knew that Xol was the weakest and I had read the second link, but not the first. I still think that he didn’t have the power to kill Yul, because he was the most powerful of the Worm Gods, but I can see where you are coming from and I admit that you’re probably right. Part of why I said that was reading the Books of Sorrow, you’re told over and over how powerful they are, and it didn’t seem like we could kill one so easily, so I was just overestimating Xol and how powerful he was.

1 Like

I mean, I am/was in the same boat. The BoS really hypes up how powerful the Worms are and I do admit to acute disappointment in how “Easy” it was to kill one. My stance has changed due to reading more lore and thinking on it but I still agree that we should have had at least a storyline with gradual whittling away at Xols power before the final show down. Or maybe have had some scenes with Rasputin pummeling it with his weapons. IDK.

Having the Rasputin scenes would have at least made it seem feasable/understandable as to why we did kill him so easily.

1 Like

honestly I would of preferred a Rasputin ex machina to just gunning Xol down with a pulse, was a really hyped and boring fight

1 Like

Also, don’t know if this was mentioned or not, Xol was likely still weakened from his fight with Rasputin from before he was frozen, so we likely were not fighting him at full strength.

2 Likes

That is a good point and not one that had been made.

All of this is good speculation, however I think that it is stated that Akka is not dead dead, her (I think that’s the correct pronoun) consciousness still lives on. But don’t quote me on that, I am not much a lore book worm (am I funny yet?) and just tend to make more crack head ideas than more concrete theories. HOWEVER we did NOT kill Xol in the Ascendant Realm (which is where he would be the most powerful). Now unless worm gods work different than the rest of the Hive, this would mean we only killed a single PHYSICAL form. And perhaps why Xol is now the weakest is because Akka is dead? Because if we stomped out Oryx already then… well that means we are literal god like figures. Why would the Hive even continue to challenge at such a point? If we slew their King who slew a GOD then well… what’s the point in trying to stop them? But I’m getting off into a tangent. I’m a bit rusty and mostly just give food for thought. I’m better suited in the Community Creations ^-^; and I do intend on getting back in there and beginning to craft a more streamlined story of my namesake character, Jubi. Perhaps I will practice writing in grimoire style as Dredgen Xakai did. Who knows. But all those who remember me, school is back in session which means so am I, this time on a laptop!

In the Truth to Power we already described as “godslayer”

I agree with this. It doesn’t seem very justifiable that it takes a fireteam of 6 in a raid to kill someone powerful like Oryx or Crota but we can somehow kill a literal god with just three guardians? It seems very fishy to me. But my guess is that Xol doesn’t actually have a definite body, but extensions of his conscience or power are created into creatures. Maybe the Hive Worm we fought on Mars is just a pet of Xol. Rather a ‘puppet’.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums!

I am hesitant to agree with your position that Xol doesn’t have a body purely for the reason that we have not seen evidence for the worms (gods or otherwise) existing without one. Even the most powerful Worm God had a body that Oryx was able to chop up and use to make his Dreadnought.

1 Like