What are the ramifications of losing Crimson Days

Aside from not seeing a great gamemode return what are the lore ramifications?

This update brought simple aesthetic changes to the tower, new Banners (which were changed for IB every month anyway) and flowers.

Other than that it brought a few new emotes, festive candy styled Ghost shells, EXP boosting consumables, two new shaders, and an emblem depicting the Crimson Days symbol.

So let’s look at the card

“Let me tell you the story of when the Guardians first encountered the Cabal.

It was the first days back on the frontier, when we’d finally found a way to repower the old jumpships and explore what remained of the colonies.

There were two Guardians. While both served the Light, in all other ways they were rivals. One spent his days searching forgotten places for lost treasures. The other sought ever-greater challenges in a ceaseless quest for glory.

“One day, both Guardians detected a strange signal coming from a buried city on Mars. The Warlock, hoping to find forgotten caches, vowed to keep his secret until he alone had a chance to explore the site. The Hunter, seeing a chance to earn the renown she craved, also told no one.”

Thus both Guardians walked into peril alone and unprepared.

It was not long before their paths crossed. The Warlock mocked his rival’s pride. The Hunter ridiculed her rival as a dirt-grubber. In their anger, they turned on one another …and never saw danger approach.

The Sand Eaters came in force. The Centurions jumped into range before the Guardians could react. The steps of the Colossus shook the ground. The Phalanx’s shields created a wall that no weapon could penetrate, and the Legionaries moved in for the kill.

Faced with certain destruction, the Guardians did the only thing they could. They fought. Back to back, they battled the Cabal for a day and a night. Black oil soaked into the sands until the ground was slick with death. The shields and armor of the dead littered the battlefield, but still the Cabal came.

The Guardians died, revived, and died again. Still they fought, protecting one another. With his last bit of strength, the Warlock used the Void to destroy their enemies. With her last bullet, the Hunter saved her friend from the Colossus.

At last, the battlefield fell silent. Only the Guardians stood. Abandoning their quests, they returned to the City to warn the Vanguard of the threat rising on Mars.

From that day to this, the pair have been the closest of companions. In their journeys together, they have found both riches and renown. But these things mean nothing unless they are shared.”

“Wait, I thought I’d heard this story before, but it was about two Guardians and the Hive?”

“No it wasn’t. It was about the Vault of Glass.”

“Whoever said there was only one story?”

So this card is about a male Warlock and a female Hunter who met on Mars during the very early days of civilization but the final few lines is where the real importance lies. the main story is told by one narrator to an audience, but it’s in the end that the audience speaks up questioning the story.

“Wait, I thought I’d heard this story before, but it was about two Guardians and the Hive?”

“Whoever said there was only one story?”

The very last line would again be the main narrator.

So like i said, it’s really the last lines that’s important. The prospect that this isn’t the only story of a “Crimson Days” event, so to understand that i did a little off-grimoire digging and found a Shaxx quote.

“I hope you’re ready for the Crimson Days, Guardian. Every year the Tower celebrates Guardian teams of two, and so does the Crucible. Show me what you and your Crimson Bond can do.”
—Lord Shaxx

Now while this does state that every year we celebrate Crimson Days, it doesn’t necessarily mean just because we don’t see it in-game that it doesn’t spiritually happen. Keep in mind these events weren’t around in year 1.

Another quote of his is

“With proper tactics and proper execution, a Fireteam of two Guardians can fight indefinitely. The Crimson Days are a chance to revel in this fact.”
—Lord Shaxx

So we really begin to see the nature and point of the Crimson Days, it’s inspired to bring together Guardians into a team of two and show everyone how capable they can be. To form an unbreakable bond with a teammate and go on to do great things in the name of the Light and of the City.

Just who were the Guardian pair who fought the Hive? Wei and Eriana? Have we lost a convenient way to get further details on the Great DIsaster?

And what about the Vault of Glass? Kabr and Pahanin? Is this now lost to us too?

Of course Bungie can simply plug in any old grimoire card at any point in time and we’d just eat it up, but the spirit of the Crimson Days has now been lost, and it loses a bit of it’s allure.

3 Likes

Going off of this:

[quote]“Wait, I thought I’d heard this story before, but it was about two Guardians and the Hive?”

“Whoever said there was only one story?”[/quote]

It can be inferred we lost the possibility of the other stories being explained to up or learning about just who were the guardians in question.

With each story it seems like they would’ve had the same underlying theme of the bonds between guardians but would feature each guardians retelling of how they through the story went. This would bring more characterization to the guardians as a whole, saying that each one mentioned is their own separate entitiy and not just guardian of the week.

Another thing would be getting a look into relationships between guardians, their fireteam, friends, emimies/rivals. Just more characterization is general and how relationships are handled with in the destiny verse.

I apologize if I ended up rambling incoherently, I’m just looking more into what could just simpliy be an event dedicated to those late guardians and their friends. Shaxx honoring the lost relationships is very interesting though and could point to Shaxx having a caring side apart from the GrumpyBear we’ve come to see him as.

As a year 2 guardian, this was the first live event I was able to compete in. I adored it, and am sad to see it not included in Y3. The lore aspect of it is very intriguing, but I don’t think a lot of guardian really took notice. The 320 shell drop rate issue put so many people off.

I do wonder if this card in particular being on Mars was alluded to by the event’s namesake, “Crimson”?

I did find this in the flavor text for “Two Lights as One”:

"The Cabal have a word for a pair of Guardians. It’s the same as their word for ‘overwhelming force.’ " —Commander Zavala

5 Likes

This is a really interesting line of thought, especially in light of the flavor text that @SentinelDad found and the fact that the story we’re told is about Mars. Are there any other teams of two that we know of? Typically we hear of fireteams of three and I can’t think of any other teams of two at the moment. We know of various two guardians who are clearly in a close relationship (Wei Ning and Eriana-3) but we don’t know for sure that they were in a fireteam of two versus just having an intimate relationship.

1 Like