Identity of Dredgen Yor (Rezyl Azzir)

I’m thinking that large knight is either Al Luk Hul(sorry don’t no how to spell it) or maybe a large knight we haven’t met before??

Except lore does exist on her in the Rezyl cards. Not much but enough to know that she was the one who prophesied he would fall and become a terrible villain.

Dat Knight, though, we’ll probably find out in D2, if he warrants a name. Most likely.

@Snapshot, Alak-Hul already had a consort, Verok, who we don’t meet at all. She was probably killed by Oryx when Verok and Alak-Hul tried to overthrow the King.

Ah Whoops all these names are similar could it have been that one knight we fight in the shrine of oryx mission?

No, we killed Sardok, Eye of Oryx. Rezyl killed Xyor’s consort likely decades before we were revived.

Hmm I seem to have messed up on my timelines I’m gonna go read up on this stuff.

1 Like

Speaking of, what do you think about Rezyl going to the Moon? His Ghost says “The Hive were supposed to be gone.” If this is occurring post-Collapse it could be the first reappearance of the Hive, while confirming the Hive’s involvement in the Collapse battle. There’s also the fact that we have no indicator of whether Crota took over the Moon at Mare Imbrium before or after Rezyl traveled there. However, it stands to reason that it would happen afterwards. Right?

Collapse (Hive destroy Golden Age, Traveler Crippled, any way off the planet gone) ==> Dark Age (Dwindler’s Ridge saga) ===> City Age (Guardians retake the Moon, Crota retakes it back)

That seems a little unclear in retrospect, but basically what I’m speculating is that in Rezyl’s time, no one had been to the Moon since pre-Collapse. Then he returns and finds that the Hive are not long gone, but have been waiting there for centuries and are still a threat “There are worse things than pirates out here”. The Dwindler’s Ridge saga unfolds into the City Age, and then Guardians tried to retake the Moon, but Crota appeared at Mare Imbrium and cut the big gash in its surface. Eris Morn’s fireteam went in, and after everyone got slaughtered at the Ocean of Storms and that fiasco on top of it all, the Vanguard set the travel ban until our Guardians set foot on the Moon much later.

Would Rezyl, then, have gone into the Hellmouth fortress or the Temple of Crota? Large doors…

I always assumed he went to the Temple of Crota.

Yeah, they’re connected underground via the World’s Grave anyway. Just the Temple is the only one with a “large door” to speak of.
oh wait the fortress has that secondary entrance behind Archer’s Line that’s guarded by 2 Hallowed Knights it could have been there too

True, that. I keep forgetting that one. Crota’s Temple is more memorable.

Well Redrenegade you are correct. The New Grimoire for AoT confirms it in the mentioning of Rezyl’s hand gun, Rose.

Yep yep! Still a mystery which weapon came to be known as Rose though.

For Destiny 2, of course. I believe the saga of Dredgen Yor is still going to haunt us down through the length of Destiny. We’ve got the Shadows of Yor, Shin vowing to end them himself, and the Vanguard apparently not knowing what kind of evil they did by rewriting history and keeping the truth hidden.

I wonder exactly what it was the Vanguard “hid”. We are dealing with an unreliable narrator after all. It’s possible the Shadows are saying the Vanguard lied based on their own twisted opinions of Yor’s motivations.

I also notice they don’t seem to take issue with Shin’s judgement and opinion, merely the Vanguard’s.

Well, the Sword-Logic does dictate that you stand or fall by your own merits. Perhaps they’re pleased he is taking them seriously enough to fight them, whereas the Vanguard is “seeded on lies”, a pocket of reality that is cancerous. I’m speaking Oryx’s words from the the Books of Sorrow, but the concept is the same.

I appreciate that! I wonder just how the sword logic was involved with Yor and the Shadows. He certainly had the belief that he was a force of nature, that death and destruction were the natural state of things.

The Shadows believe him to be a hero for making a “sacrifice”, but what heroics it accomplished are unclear. I’ll always be fascinated by Yor’s motives and the question of whether even he is as certain as he claims to be. After all, why did he give Shin the Last Word?

Yor is, I think, trying to goad or taunt Shin, possibly into killing him in the hope that Shin would take up Thorn and become corrupted. It’a just a theory, but it explains why Yor is killed so easily, why he doesn’t kill Shin when he has the chance, why he send Shin The Last Word. We already know that Yor sent The Last Word to shin to goad him. Ghost Fragments: Thorn 4 shows this.

[u.1:2.7] You’re trying to tempt him. You’re feeding his anger.

So we’ve etsablished that Yor wants Shin to be angry, leading me on to suspect he might want Shin to kill him.

[u.1:3.1] The cannon. You wish to tempt the boy. To spur him on and fuel his rage. There is intent there. The actions of a man, monstrous, mad or otherwise… you are nothing more.

Why would Yor want Shin to kill him? The only logical reason stems from the fact that Shin, angry and vengeful, would be easily corrupted, perhaps by Thorn or perhaps from killing Yor. Of course, Shin doesn’t become corrupted, although Zyre Orsa and Teben Grey reforge Thorn, leading to Shin’s confrontation with them.

No, they created their own Thorns.

That’s kind of what I meant by “reforging” Thorn.

There’s also the possibility that Yor wished to die.