Something small I noticed with the hive language blog post

in the post the list the definition of “Aiat” as

and the game lore described it as

in “its just me”

both descriptions are similar, just thought I should point it out.

(side note)
while I haven’t been commenting as much as usual I have been reading every new thing that pops up
I’m not inactive, just waiting for an interesting topic or something I would like to answer.

(even bigger side note)
I noticed while surfing that there is no category for enemy weapons to my info, nor do they show up on the main page (please correct and redirect if I am wrong.)

1 Like

The quote that Cocoabiel uses, like she states, is a quote from Seth Dickinson:

This [Aiat] is it, and its purpose is expression, its meaning is the invocation of what it is, its mission is to draw in the mind and make an incision of curiosity and to be that incision which is a question and its own solution, to make one hunger for an answer whose answer is its own wanting. Aiat. This is it, it is that utterance.

“It’s just me.” is the newest Truth to Power entry, so there’s a chance it was Cocoabiel needed a definition before its release and turned to Dickinson’s words. There’s also the fact that TTP (while interesting) rather unreliable narratively, making it a less desirable source in some eyes.

The two are worded differently because, textually, they are from two very different sources. Dickinson’s quote is a word-of-god explanation; he’s answering the question “What does Aiat mean?” As the author of the Books of Sorrow, it’s likely he invented the term as it’s used in the Books, meaning he would have the ‘definite’ definition. Meanwhile, ‘Eris’ (a debated subject) in “It’s just me.” is speaking like Eris typically does:

Do you know what the Hive say when they want to express the inevitability of a thing? When they want to say, it is this way because it could be no other way?

Aiat.

She’s typically more vague and circular when she speaks, and this is an example of that same manner of speaking. Eris doesn’t have the same explanation Dickinson does because she’s a character operating from within the game, while Seth is word-of-god’ing his own definition to us.

2 Likes

For the longest time I thought “aiat” was the inflected Latin word “aio”. It’s funny because that actually really matches Seth’s definition. Aio means “I say” and aiat specifically means “he says”, so I assumed it was referencing the Deep. Almost like saying “amen”. In fact, I’m absolutely certain Seth was inspired by the word amen, given how similarly it’s used, how similar his definition is, and the biblical inspirations for the Books of Sorrow.

Even if this is just a coincidence, it’s a pretty cool one.

2 Likes

@erin Per usual you are correct, just though I should point it out @Grimlock205 indeed it is mate

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised if that was actually where the creators came up with the word. Latin was actually my first thought the first time I heard Eris say it.

2cents from a long time practice witch:
A common phrase we use to end our spells/incantations/rituals is - “So Mote It Be”
Essentially, “as I will it, so it will be done”

The mindset of absolute, that by our own will we have brought this to manifestation.

“For it is, as it always has, and shall be” is another one…

So basically it’s about intention. That you as the caster hold the will/power of creation/divinity. With that, you can’t have any room for doubt, it’s not a question, it’s a statement. Exerting your will, over the laws of reality, bending reality to reconstruct to your desires.

Sound a little familiar? Getting into the game and it’s lore I’ve definitely been amused with the Hive and it’s use of witchcraft, especially in the current season…(which besides the intro I haven’t started :sweat:) Hopefully I can afford a season pass soon. I really want to see what they’re doing with the tarot! Major and minor arcana and aspecting… :sweat_smile:

I don’t know enough to say the creators did their homework when creating the game, but they didn’t just pull things out of thin air. Someone did some research. Eris is easily one of my fav characters - as well as many witches I’ve talked to who have gotten into the game.

So yeah, a little IRL application. Also, as witchcraft goes, there’s probably a bunch of witches now using “AIAT” in their practice. :smirk: