The Aeon Cult: Messages from a new power in our system?

Greetings, Guardians. Osiris has finally returned to us, and along with him, an… interesting… series of exotic gauntlets for each of our various divisions, our classes. All tied to a mysterious “Aeon Cult” and all sharing the same flavor text. When examining the lore tabs of the armor from this Cult, they appear to be simple nonsense. The lore tabs of the armor pieces read as follows:

Aeon Soul: “to stand apart from your [heroes) are commonplace these (days] of change draw ever [closer) looks at what is forbidden can only (help] them help [you) are so afraid of the (taboos] must be [overthrown) rulers would agree i’m (sure]ly you are convinced by [now) go and find yourselves] ]”

Aeon Safe: “your sense of (self]-preservation coddles leaders into ritual [complacence) is something (i have forgotten] loneliness uncertainty life [alone) i see with my six (eyes] watching from beyond [the heliopause) is a curtain before the next and final (act] decisively to meld with [yourselves) will know (you] together alone striving toward your final [purpose) built to move as they (move]”

Aeon Swift: “[ (we followed [the Path) crumbled beneath (our feet] became [one mind) can absorb (the truth] is that Osiris understands [nothing) can describe the joy of shared (thought] you knew what they were didn’t [you) haven’t lived as they (do] you wish to find [your future) is (predetermined] individuals will never find [answers) lie in forbidden (places] bound by [shared dreams) will reveal (your nature] is to [destroy)”

As I’ve said, these appear to be complete nonsense.

Until you look closer, Guardians…

Allow me to explain.

I believe they contain a message. Many messages, in fact.

Look at the symbols each passage begins and ends on.

If we take a look at them. The Hunter’s begins with a bracket and a parenthesis and ends in a parenthesis. The Titan’s begins with a parenthesis and ends with a bracket. The Warlock’s begins with a bracket, and ends with… two brackets?

That will become important later, but for now, we shall focus on the symbols on the individual pieces of armor.

But… what could that mean?

These appear to be messages of some sort and each class has a message directed to them.

Aeon Soul: “[heroes) … (days] of change draw ever [closer)… (help] them help [you)… (taboos] must be [overthrown)… (sure]ly you are convinced by [now)”

Aeon Safe: “(self]-preservation coddles leaders into ritual [complacence)… (i have forgotten] loneliness uncertainty life [alone)… (eyes] watching from beyond [the heliopause)… (act] decisively to meld with [yourselves)… (you] together alone striving toward your final [purpose)… (move]”

Aeon Swift: “[(we followed [the Path)… (our feet] became [one mind)… (the truth] is that Osiris understands [nothing)… (thought] you knew what they were didn’t [you)… (do] you wish to find [your future)… (predetermined] individuals will never find [answers)… (places] bound by [shared dreams)… (your nature] is to [destroy)”

Examining them with respect to the portions that begin and end in parentheses reveals three messages.

But what of those that begin and end in brackets?

As expected, they also appear to reveal three messages.

Aeon Soul: “[heroes) are commonplace these (days]… [closer) looks at what is forbidden can only (help]… [you) are so afraid of the (taboos]… [overthrown) rulers would agree i’m (sure]… [now) go and find yourselves]]”

Aeon Safe: “your sense of (self]… [complacence) is something (i have forgotten]… [alone) i see with my six (eyes]… [the heliopause) is a curtain before the next and final (act]… [yourselves) will know (you]… [purpose) built to move as they (move]”

Aeon Swift: “[the Path) crumbled beneath (our feet]… [one mind) can absorb (the truth]… [nothing) can describe the joy of shared (thought]… [you) haven’t lived as they (do]… [your future) is (predetermined]… [answers) lie in forbidden (places]… [shared dreams) will reveal (your nature]… [destroy)”

So now, there are six messages in total. Two for each item, and therefore, each class. The messages in Soul to Warlocks, the messages in Safe to Titans, and the messages in Swift to Hunters.

Except…

Some of the messages still seem… broken?

As though something further was meant to be added to each and was… left off somehow?

For example, the Hunter passage with respect to brackets begins the word “destroy” with a bracket, and… ends in a parenthesis.

Inconsistencies and errors like this appear in all six messages.

What could they mean?

Surely these messages could not have been hidden like this, only to end in nonsense?

So, I began to examine the symbols each passage begins and ends on, and I realized something.

They alternate.

Now, I noted that the double symbol at the end of the Warlock passage would become important. Compare it to the Hunter passage. It begins in a double symbol as well, a bracket and a parenthesis.

Two symbols at the end of a passage, and two symbols at the beginning of another. Could they perhaps be linked? At the suggestion of a friend, I examined the phrases with matching symbols a bit more closely. As a result, I discovered something.

The passages link together as additional messages beyond the six that I have shown so far.

And I believe I have decrypted them.

If you look at the phrases that begin with brackets, they seem to follow a certain order. And of course, we must start on the lore entry that begins with brackets, and end on the one that ends with them. And noting that the double symbols present on the Hunter and Warlock entries were both brackets, I believed they could be the beginning and end of the bracket messages, with the Titan entry making up the center portion.

Therefore, with respect to the brackets, the order is thus. Swift, Safe, Soul. Hunter, Titan, Warlock.

“[ …[the Path) crumbled beneath (our feet]… [one mind) can absorb (the truth]… [nothing) can describe the joy of shared (thought]… [you) haven’t lived as they (do]… [your future) is (predetermined]… [answers) lie in forbidden (places]… [shared dreams) will reveal (your nature]… [destroy) your sense of (self]… [complacence) is something (i have forgotten]… [alone) i see with my six (eyes]… [the heliopause) is a curtain before the next and final (act]… [yourselves) will know (you]… [purpose) built to move as they (move]… [heroes) are commonplace these (days]… [closer) looks at what is forbidden can only (help]… [you) are so afraid of the (taboos]… [overthrown) rulers would agree i’m (sure]… [now) go and find yourselves] ]”

Lo and behold, a coherent message composed of three others reveals itself. Quite interesting, and one portion in particular stands out to me. “[alone) i see with my six (eyes].” Hmm. Three pieces of gear. Three classes. All the classes are humanoid creatures with two eyes apiece. Therefore, it seems the message is referring to a fireteam of three. It also appears that their minds are… linked somehow.

Now, after this, I recalled that there had been two sets of messages for each class depending on which symbol I began with. One set for brackets, another for parentheses. Perhaps another message could be derived from combining the messages surrounded by parentheses?

So, I decided to investigate them, and attempted to link them.

And, to my delight, another message revealed itself.

Using the same ordering as the first, beginning with the Hunter message, and ending with the Warlock, the composite message reads as follows:

“(we followed [the Path)… (our feet] became [one mind)… (the truth] is that Osiris understands [nothing)… (thought] you knew what they were didn’t [you)… (do] you wish to find [your future)… (predetermined] individuals will never find [answers)… (places] bound by [shared dreams)… (your nature] is to [destroy)… (self]-preservation coddles leaders into ritual [complacence)… (i have forgotten] loneliness uncertainty life [alone)… (eyes] watching from beyond [the heliopause)… (act] decisively to meld with [yourselves)… (you] together alone striving toward your final [purpose)… (move]… [heroes) … (days] of change draw ever [closer)… (help] them help [you)… (taboos] must be [overthrown)… (sure]ly you are convinced by [now)”

It appears that someone believes they have convinced us of… something with these passages. But who? And for what purpose? Beyond that, I understand nothing of this message. In the first, I could at least decipher what the “Six Eyes” were, if nothing else within it, but here? Here, I am at my wits end. And so, I submit these decryptions, and these passages to you, my fellow Guardians. Can you make further sense of them than I and decipher their true meaning? Or shall they remain a mystery whose purpose shall only be revealed to us at a later time? I suppose we shall see…

Light be with you, Guardians. And good luck.

42 Likes

The single most amazing thing I have read. This is why this site is so amazing

8 Likes

You put a lot of hard work into this! Very impressive and it gives us a lot to think about.

4 Likes

Sounds like the Nine. Excellent work. @KFC_just did some on the Discord server recently, so he’ll be pleased to learn that you blazed the trail.

3 Likes

Firstly, this thread is awesome! Really great job @TKfromthe90s and @FutureLoreCult for your work on this.

I decided to write a small program that demonstrates the process. Follow this link if you’d like to see it!

https://jsfiddle.net/ishtar/zqfeuqwk/6/

16 Likes

I didn’t think this thread could get any cooler until I read your program

8 Likes

Well, I’ve just woken up and found this! Nice work combining them!

6 Likes

@baxter, may I link your program for when I make a Destinypedia article on this?

@TKfromthe90s, @FutureLoreCult, may I put your work into the same Destinypedia article? Citations will not only be the items themselves but also here.

4 Likes

@GhostDante of course!

3 Likes

@GhostDante Certainly, I don’t mind at all! Just happy to see it discussed!

4 Likes

Now that I’ve gotten a good night of rest after all the excitement, I’d just like to elaborate the topic a bit. I think it’s possible the Aeon Cult is somehow a rival Guardian cult to Osiris and his followers. One just as interested in the Vex, if not more. I believe they feel they have managed to truly understand the Vex, while Osiris does not. Mainly supported by the line: “The Truth is that Osiris understands nothing. Thought you knew what they were didn’t you.” The only “they” this could be referring to would be the Vex. And presumably, this Aeon Cult is stating that they understand them better, if not completely.

Additionally, it seems the Aeon Cult were willing to take further measures and break even more taboos than Osiris. The main example of this being that they appear to have attempted to merge their minds into one, as the Vex hive mind, which we have previously been informed of. This is supported by multiple lines in the text, “Our feet became one mind,” “One mind can absorb the truth,” “Nothing can describe the joy of shared thought.,” etcetera.

My reasoning for assuming they are associated with the Vex, or rather, are attempting to understand them is twofold. The two reasons are these lines. " You haven’t lived as they do. Your future is predetermined." The only beings we know of who live as a hive mind, and are attempting to influence the future are the Vex. I would like to take a small tangent here and note something. “Your future is predetermined.” But, that should be impossible, no? This message is addressed to Guardians, whom we know are paracausal, which we know means our future is not predetermined. I’m quite simply either baffled to its true meaning, or terrified at what this seems to mean. Regardless, back to the initial discussion.

“The Path” is still something I have no clue about. However, I could take two guesses. I believe it may either be the Infinite Forest, or the Vex network itself. Note the lines, “We followed the path. The Path crumbled beneath our feet.” We can see, in gameplay, that the Infinite Forest is somewhat like a path, and if I recall, the Vex are the only race whose platforms have ever crumbled beneath us in game. It would also make sense, as the Forest is ever-changing. A path could crumble beneath you without warning, as the Cult describes.

Now, this next point goes into almost pure speculation of the Cult’s origins, so bear with me if you would. The entire internal portion of Mercury has been turned into a staging ground for the Vex’s simulations. However, if we look down while inside the infinite forest, we don’t notice the red hot core of a planet that we would expect. I believe the initial members of the Cult were actually agents of Osiris, sent to investigate the Forest. Perhaps (and again this portion is pure speculation) after the path crumbled beneath them, the initial members of this Cult fell into the Vex network. Their minds were somehow merged into one in this event, just as the three messages to each class can be merged into one. As a result, they see individual thought as chaotic, nonsensical, just as the lore of the three individual pieces is nonsensical until combined. Somehow, they managed to survive the experience and escape, but they were… changed somehow. They feel an odd oneness, a shared consciousness, a new clarity. And they feel they must share it. They believe Osiris to be a fool, who does not understand anything about the Vex. They believe only further taboos could give such an understanding. The only further taboo in relation to the Vex that Osiris hasn’t committed would be to embrace their hive mind, as the Cult have. They suggest moving away from our heroes because the known heroes of the Tower, and the City, Shaxx, Zavala, Saladin, Ikora, Cayde, etcetera, would all forbid us from further pursuing this supposed “truth” of the Vex. But the Cult believes such extreme measures are necessary for whatever comes beyond the heliopause, believing it to be no more than a mere “curtain before the next and final act.”

They believe something is coming. They believe only they can see it. And most curiously, they seem to believe they only way to prepare for it is to merge our minds into one, as the Vex.

However, several further portions of the message still confound me. The mention of dreams, the mention of our destructive nature, and the mention of this mysterious “final purpose.” The only similar expression I know of is the final shape, from the Book of Sorrows.

Well, my fellow Guardians? What do you believe? Do you believe I am correct about the origins of the Cult? What do you make of this strange… “final purpose”? And what dreams do you believe they could be speaking of? I look forward to hearing all of your thoughts.

Light be with you, Guardians.

9 Likes

I just read this and I AM STOKED!!!
Reading it, as i have not started my own investigation yet (lol). A couple of things do pop up.

1. There’s 3 commanding the Vanguard. No one seems to veer away from what they say.
  2. The uniting of the the mind makes me lean as to something with Rasputin and Charlemane.
  3. Those 2 minds and a third. Possibly something to do with Cayde or an Exo. The next DLC is something to do with Rasputin. It may be some kind of weapon that is being introduced in this DLC.

I will be continuing research on this. IM SO EXCITED!! :joy::joy:

Also, Didnt we find a warmind on IO? Maybe something to investigate. Heliopause is a key word and also the name of alot of Dead Orbit armor.

3 Likes

Heliopause is also connected to the Nine, as a legend says they’re nine Ghosts who went beyond the heliopause (obviously disproven, but there were nine Ghosts).

3 Likes

Reminds me of the line from the new Kabr’s Glass Aegis ship.

"their/our/their desire is not malevolent it is survival she is/was/is wrong there is no evil there is no despise there is no SEPARATION there is harmony inside if you/you/you allow it

it was/was/was not done i/i speak again and was wrong i am still him and i am now them and THAT IS FUTURE^V^V"

(The text with the slashes i.e. their/our/their in this card is meant to represent past, present, and future. The Vex exist in all at once so they (and Kabr) speak like they are one)

Also I love the above card in relation to the line from the old Relic: The Aegis grimoire
"Now it is done. If I speak again, I am not Kabr."

I have a lot more to read through and think about but I wonder…were the 3 wearers of the Aeon armor (Titan, Hunter, Warlock) Kabr, Pahanin, and Praedyth…food for thought.

I’ve got work but tonight I plan on spending a bunch of time building out my Aeon, Kabr, theory. I’ll probably have something long to post by tomorrow.

7 Likes

Everyone in this thread. I posted a thing but it was too long to be a comment. It’s a new post at http://commons.ishtar-collective.net/t/now-go-and-find-yourselves/1368

@TKfromthe90s let me know your thoughts.

If you’re interested in JUST the Aeon Cult part though I think the message was sent by Kabr and this is my interpretation.

We followed the path. The Path crumbled beneath our feet. Our feet became one mind.

Kabr and his team entered the Vault. But this is all Kabr. He is past, present, and future at once. He is we.

One mind can absorb the truth. The Truth is that Osiris understands nothing. Nothing can describe the joy of shared thought.

He drank the vex milk and joined their collective thought.

Thought you knew what they were didn’t you. You haven’t lived as they do. Do you wish to find your future.

We cannot understand the Vex because we are not one with them. We do not live as them.

Your future is predetermined. Predetermined individuals will never find answers. Answers lie in forbidden places.

What if on some dreadful night, the Darkness were to come creeping up to you and whisper ‘This war, is all there is for you.’ Instruments of war cannot find the meaning in it. They must seek out meaning from their Queen

Places bound by shared dreams. Shared dreams will reveal your nature. Your nature is to destroy.

We are weapons. Purpose built to wage war.

Destroy your sense of self. Self-preservation coddles leaders into ritual complacence. Complacence is something I have forgotten.

We cannot think that we have significance. Kabr is not like Osiris. He does not find satisfaction in his own greatness.

I have forgotten loneliness, uncertainty, life alone. Alone I see with my six eyes. Eyes watching from beyond the heliopause.

Kabr sees with past present and future eyes. He/They/We watches us.

The heliopause is a curtain before the next and final act. Act decisively to meld with yourselves. Yourselves will know you.

Something dark comes our way. We will meet other weapons of war. Other versions of ourselves.

You together alone striving toward your final purpose. Purpose built to move as they move. Move to stand apart from your heroes.

Our final purpose is to be consumed. By the collective, by the Darkness, by the Light. We are not to be as heroes, fighting against it.

Heroes are commonplace these days. Days of change draw ever closer. Closer looks at what is forbidden can only help.

We must choose a queen. Each with their forbidden knowledge. We must decide to be more than weapons.

Help them help you. You are so afraid of taboos. Taboos must be overthrown.

We must make a pact and seek more. The Vex milk is taboo. The Darkness is taboo. The very nature of the Traveler, is taboo.

Overthrown rulers would agree I’m sure. Surely you are convinced by now. Now go and find yourselves.

We must find a new purpose.

7 Likes

Not sure if related, but Benedict 99-40 has one line when speaking with him that goes like: "Emperor Calus owns the path."
It could totally be a different “path”, but seems rather cryptic for several parties to have different "the path"s.

3 Likes

Oryx spoke of making one’s own path.

4 Likes

This is how I imagined the passages were combined as well. Great job!

4 Likes

Bruh, This is som e of the best lore analysis I have ever seen. Most people just go with what the cards say but you are a true detective man. A+

5 Likes

@TKfromthe90s @FutureLoreCult I’m so impressed with the work you guys have done with those cryptic messages and working out the right order for them! Well done!

5 Likes