Vex Origins, just spitballing

Okay, full disclosure, I’m starting this theory based on a pretty wild guess. I’ll cover as much as possible on the Vex that I can find, but the thought occurred to me while reading Ghost Fragment: Mercury.

"One face is blistered, the other plunged into a brutal chill. Is this how it’s always been?

You remember hot oceans, nourishing atmosphere. But something transpired, kicked what was wet and fertile into space, stealing away everything of value. Or perhaps what thrived here for a day or for ten million years decided to leave, peeling its wet organics off the bones."

We know what happened to Mercury - the Vex turned it, freshly terraformed into a garden world, into one of their machine planets. What jumped out at me was the phrase “wet organics” and how that immediately brings to mind Vex radiolaria.

Mercury was a garden world. What other gardens to we know of? Pomona Mons and The Black Garden, both also Vex territory. Did the Black Garden originate on Mars? As far as I know, we bound it to Mars’s surface straight out of time, but that wasn’t its natural location. Could it have been the gardens of Mercury, ripped into the conflux by the Vex? That would explain the naming of the units within the Garden - Sol Divisive, and the body guard of the dark heart, Sol Progeny.

Dealing with creatures whose natural state of existence is a causal loop makes it useless to try to pinpoint one singular origin. However, looking at Mercury, it allows us to entertain the possibility that the Vex came not to Mercury but from Mercury, the garden world, where they ripped all that was alive away.

Legend: The Black Garden reads "I am Pujari. These are the visions I have had of the Black Garden.

The Traveler moved across the face of the iron world. It opened the earth and stitched shut the sky. It made life possible. In these things there is always symmetry. Do you understand? This is not the beginning but it is the reason.

The Garden grows in both directions. It grows into tomorrow and yesterday. The red flowers bloom forever.

There are gardeners now. They came into the garden in vessels of bronze and they move through the groves in rivers of thought."

Pujari makes it sound like the Vex arrived or emerged on Mercury after the Traveler. One legend says that the Vex reside at the core of every celestial body, so who knows how close that is to the mark.

In verse 4:8 of the Book of Sorrows, The Partition of Death, the Vex enter the Hive netherworld.

"With his sword Crota cut open a new wound, into a new space. In here he thought he might obtain a secret power.

Out of this wound came machines called Vex. They invaded Oryx’s throne world."

Clearly the Vex network is more similar to the Hive netherworld than our own reality, but the Hive came from our universe originally as the Krill, and the netherworld was reached by the powers of the Deep.

The Vex conflux could be created by their mastery of time, making it possible for Osiris to enter and exit from our world, because the Vex could have started out in our world.

But where, and as what? I don’t really think the Alpha Lupi take on Mercury offers proof, but it’s worded in an odd way that seems to say more than it reads.

1 Like

If they started our world, why did they leave? For that matter why did they not take over all the planets in our solar system

Good point. I don’t see why being in the time stream means they’ve left. Technically it means that they were, are and will be here. So at any given…time…oh boy. Why does everything smell like copper?

Anyway, chronologically sensitive projections like the Vex leaving are hard to apply because they don’t work within the constraints of time or of one single reality.

As for why they didn’t take over the rest of the system, they likely have their own reasons for that. We’ve seen the Vex act reluctant to press the advantage before, like in verse 4:9 of the Book of Sorrows, Open Your Eye; Go Into It.

“For some Vex reason, Quria never attempted to introduce worm larvae into its mind fluid.”

One of the biggest Fridge Horror things in Destiny is the fact that literally any second the Vex could in some way destroy us, since we can only affect them when they are in our present. Places like the Vault see them pulling Precursor and Descendant Vex from across time to attack us. Imagine if sometime they eventually succeed in being able to do that anywhere they want. There would be nothing stopping them from coming back in time and using it against us. Except that they haven’t…yet.

Why they haven’t, I don’t know. Same goes for taking over the rest of the system.

I think this can be answered in that in an alternate reality they controlled the Solar system. It’s the only explanation why the Vault of Glass is on Venus. The Black Garden would seem to be an anomaly.

Yeah, that makes sense because the Vex wouldn’t be satisfied with just one reality; they’d cross to ours and try to conquer it.

Supposedly the Black Garden is what happens when an already-paracausal force encounters the Deep.

Sometimes I wonder if the Vex wanted to become a law of reality before they met the Hive.

Ghost Fragment: Darkness 3 is narrated by Toland, who says of the Deep “This is the shape of victory: to rule the universe so absolutely that nothing will ever exist except by your consent.”

The Vex either encountered the Deep for the first time in the Black Garden, or when Quria deduced the sword logic in Oryx’s throne world, as far as I know.

So I guess we’d have to know which precedes the other and, again, time travel complicates that.

I’d say when they encountered the Hive they encountered the philosophy of the Darkness. Before that, I’d imagine they were aware of the Darkness because they could observe its actions and effects, but not know what it was.

The Heart is something of an anomaly, but the more I think about it, the more I think the Heart was something left behind by the Darkness to keep the the Traveler weakened, as Rasputin mentions “the garden” as a place where the Warminds – blossoms – were ultimately defeated and where the gardener – the Traveler – refused to make herself alone, unlike Rasputin who retreated. In that case, “the garden” may be symbolic for the entire solar system, and the Garden we see on Mars is a representation of that, and either built by the Vex to house the Heart or something that was made by the Traveler for us in the same way the Gift-Mast was created for the Harmony.

I like the idea of it being comparable to the Gift-mast.

With the vex it seems that they may have entered our world through the rip Crota created (I don’t know the exact card) I believe it said something along the lines of there they came slowly through the rift as if they had never been there and they just teleported around from there?? Again I don’t know what card it was

The rip Crota made in The Partition of Death was between the Vex conflux and the Hive Overworld, specifically Oryx’s throne world. I dont think our universe was involved.

Ah ok thanks for clearing that up.

Yeah, that’s all it ever says, nothing about other universes, just the Vex world and the Ascendent Realm.

Found a suggestion that the Traveler created the Black Garden.

From Ghost Fragment: Mars

“The rose has blossomed.”

Pujari, anyone?

lol, you must be thinking of my comment of where the (Black) Garden was to us what the Gift-Mast used to be for the Harmony.

Sorry to revive this topic, but I found something that I believe is relevant while poking around Osiris intel for another post.

The Lighthouse: “My Ghost commented that the Traveler had made something of this world, and then Vex had eaten that something.”

“Eaten.” Seems a pretty significant choice of words, so why eaten?

The Vex didn’t want to come over to our reality. They just came here when Crota tried to make a throne realm like his father, Oryx. The reason the Vault and Blck Garden entrance are on Venus is probably because of the original Vex mind that invaded our world

So is this a theory?

Well, the last sentence is.

Okay. The only thing about the first two sentences is that we really don’t know what the Vex wanted in regard to that situation, and we know little about their activity except what was related to the Hive. Add that to the fact that the Books of Sorrow are as much propaganda as they are history, and I would hesitate to restrict the Vex’s past to only what happens in them.

1 Like

It seems viable. IIRC Vex ruins were found on Venus during the Golden Age. The Vex are chronologically nonlinear and seem to be capable of moving between timelines, as we see firsthand with Atheon and again in the mission Paradox.

The directive that worshipped the Darkness seems to have come from Quria’s encounter with Oryx. It could be just one avenue the Vex are pursuing to make themselves a part of the function of the universe (or just the function?) . It seems the Vault could be another, unrelated one. I feel like the Vex are the most mysterious enemy faction so far.

1 Like