Quest - Honor Among Thieves, Hidden Messages

Name: Quest: Hidden Messages, Honor Among Thieves
URL: https://youtu.be/7yIFmMzlCqI
Recorded: 2019.03.12

Transcript:

++ Trostland, European Dead Zone

** The Guardian finds one of the Drifter’s tapes.

The Drifter: Dark Age was different times. We had no City. Warlord and Iron Lord tore up the whole world tryin’ to prove who was better, what was worth fighting for. I was busy tryin’ not to starve. You ever go hungry ’til you keeled over? We did that a lot in the Dark Age. Our Ghosts would bring us back - still hungry. Really pissed me off. This one time I found a village to hide out in. Bunch of huts, really. Good people. They gave me work, and I kept my Light a secret while I performed some minor miracles. Then the Iron Lords rolled into town. My Ghost stayed outta sight, and they were none the wiser. They cut a deal with us (as if we had a choice) - paid us to let let them hide out ’til some Warlords showed up. Then ambushed ‘em. But we all got caught in the crossfire. My neighbor’s kid told me something that still bounces ‘round my head to this day. Right before the light went out in her tiny eyes, she whispered, “I can’t feel anything.” Yeah. I couldn’t either. That’s all I got. Cut the tape.

++ Sojourner’s Rest, European Dead Zone

The Drifter: Hey, kid. It’s me. The Drifter. And this is “How to Drift,” Part Three: Never Trust Your Ghost. He’s a tool. A connection to the Light. Not a friend - not in any way that counts. You think he’s saving your hide, bringing you back? He’s saving his own. I don’t care what your Guardian dogma says. I don’t care what your little buddy has told you. We don’t know what Ghosts are. They sound friendly, right? But I met some Ghosts in the Dark Age would kill you for a blue engram. Then spit on your grave. All so they could grow their Light a little more. Make a “stronger connection to the Traveler.” Whatever the hell that means. You’re an idiot if you think those Ghosts aren’t still around. Take mine, for example. Really creeps me out… Cut the tape, Ghost. And don’t gimme that look. You know where we stand.

++ Scavenger’s Den, European Dead Zone

The Drifter: If you’re gonna hang with me, you need to know about the Shadows of Yor. They follow the edicts of a very bad man named Dredgen Yor. And what’re his Shadows after? Everything the Light can’t provide. I thought they could help me find an answer to the battles of Light versus Light that raged during the Dark Age. But the longer I flew with them, the more I saw they’re blind as all those who follow the Traveler. One albatross for another. I was done with ‘em. And that title I give out? Dredgen? I did it to piss them off. Draw the Shadows out where I could see ‘em. Worked like a charm. I love all you lil’ Guardians. You’re so forthright. So eager to please. That make you angry? Good. Use it.

++ Winding Cove, European Dead Zone

The Drifter: You can’t be the Drifter’s partner and not know about Shin Malphur. The Man with the Golden Gun is still out there. He’s a hero. The stuff of legend. Naturally, he’s after my Ghost. He wouldn’t be the first. But everyone and their grandma has a Malfeasance Hand Cannon by now. I think we’re OK if Mr. Malphur ever shows his face. He follows the Light like a zealot, and he ends all those who would consort with the dark because of one man who went rogue. It’s not his Golden Gun you should be afraid of, kid. It’s his idea that one man can decide he makes the rules, and when you cross him, he can take everything from you. Doesn’t sit right with me. Never will.

++ Excavation Site XII, European Dead Zone

The Drifter: Mighty kind of the Vanguard to let me sleep in the Annex. Doesn’t get cold down there. Much. Do I trust them for it? Hell no. They’re gettin’ people killed just like the Iron Lords. Yes, people. Like you and me. Just ‘cuz we got the Light doesn’t mean we ever stop bein’ that. Don’t you let them tell you otherwise. And that mission statement of theirs? Protecting the City? Heh. Humanity’s done, kid. You can’t save ‘em. Even if you could wrap a Ward of Dawn around this whole town, they’d start dying all on their own. Every single one you save becomes just a memory. I don’t need any more of those. You’ll get there. You’ll see.

++ Skydock IV, European Dead Zone

The Drifter: I thought the City had made you all soft. But there’s this hardliner - a Warlock named Aunor. Pretty sure she’s trying to kill me. She crashed a handoff between me and the Shadows of Yor in Midtown. My, uh, buddies took a hostage, and she took out a City block getting them back. Some people didn’t make it out. How’s that for hypocrisy? She jumped the shark on that one. I woulda’ talked them down. No one had to get hurt. I hope the Vanguard are happy. I heard word from Hunter dens across the City. This Aunor’s been building a crew to look into me and the Shadows. Buncha clowns. One’a them is this Guardian - a hero of the Red War just like you - one’a Cayde’s friends… just like you. A Gambit regular. ‘Cept they’re a snitch. Have been all this time. I don’t mind. As long as they keep bringing Motes, we’re square. You watch your back out there, partner. Your friends might not be what they seem.

++ Flooded Chasm, European Dead Zone

The Drifter: Hey, you made it to the last part of my lil’ seminar. You caught me without much else to say. Already talked your ear off. But I guess there is one thing. I want you to know that you’re the closest thing to a wheel-horse I’ve had in, oh, a thousand years. I can see you making that face like you just swallowed some Scorn blood. “Wheel-horse” is an expression, kid. It’s Dark Age for “we’re tight.” That’s what you kids say, right? So here’s something I never had the chance to tell anyone else on account of they’re dead or tryin’a kill me. Don’t give in to hope. That gets you killed. Take every day as it is. Trade your jumpship for a long-range hauler and see the universe while you can. I want the best for you, kid. And you won’t find that in this system. Speaking of which. the Collapse wasn’t the last extinction-level event to hit humanity. Ol’ Drifter’s seen another one comin’. Everything I’m building in the Nine Realms is preparation. There’s a few seats I’m savin’. One of ‘em is for you. If you want it.

1 Like

Just snagged clips of the majority of the Vanguard side (system decided to nuke the one from Excavation Site) - these are the same, apparently. I have different locations - but I imagine that might be due to order of the discovery more than location of the scan…

Clip 1 - Trostland
Clip 2 - Scavenger’s Den
Clip 3 - Flooded Chasm
Clip 4 - Winding Cove
Clip 5 - Skydock IV
Clip 6 - Soujourner’s Camp

2 Likes

Created Quest: Hidden Messages, Honor Among Thieves based on this post.